FM3 cannot connect to Mac after Cygnus update

devgop

Hi Everyone, I upgraded to Cygnus last night (using a Mac) and bulk reset all the amps in every preset. Everything worked fine. Saved everything with Fractal Bot after reseting the amps. This morning when I booted up the FM3 it would not boot up. Blank screen. So I turned it off and restarted it. It then booted normally. Problem is that now I cannot connect it to my Mac with either Fractal Bot or FM Edit. Any clues?
Have done the following:
1. tried a Mac laptop as well as a desktop both using Mojave (OS 10.14.6).
2. Have changed cables and USB ports.
3. Did a reset of the System Parameters.
4. Reinstalled Fractal Bot and FM Edit with the latest downloads.
5. Held EDIT at startup; and also pressed-and-held both EDIT and HOME at startup.
Nothing seems to work.

Last edited:
if you use system report will the FM3 show up as a listed device when the usb is connected?

if you use system report will the FM3 show up as a listed device when the usb is connected?
Just checked the Systems report on the Mac. No the FM3 does not show up. I also checked the MIDI Audio setup on the Mac and it does not show the FM3 as connected to the Mac.

Last edited:
Do you mean on the Mac? I checked the MIDI Audio setup on the Mac and it does not show the FM3 as connected to the Mac.
Mac, System Report, accessed from menu > About this Mac > System Report. then drill down to USB see if the fm3 usb is even being detected.

sounds like the FM3 usb port may not be communicating do you have other usb ports on your mac you can try?

if you plug in a usb device like a flash drive will it work? if so then Id be tempted to roll back the fm3 to "fm3_dsp_rel_1p03" to see if it works again or what ever version you were using prior to your upgrade.

if you plug in a usb device like a flash drive will it work? if so then Id be tempted to roll back the fm3 to "fm3_dsp_rel_1p03" to see if it works again or what ever version you were using prior to your upgrade.
Yes the USB ports work fine and recognise other devices. How do I roll back if I cannot connect to the computer? Is there a way to do that on the unit itself?

Yes the USB ports work fine and recognise other devices. How do I roll back if I cannot connect to the computer? Is there a way to do that on the unit itself?
So I believe this is the thread,
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset_system_parameters#FM3
Tells you how to safe mode...
Not sure if it will work for you but worth a try imo,

"You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:
Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
Update using Fractal-Bot.
A system reset also resets the FC Controllers settings. Use the editor to save and restore these settings.."

So I believe this is the thread,
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset_system_parameters#FM3
Tells you how to safe mode...
Not sure if it will work for you but worth a try imo,

"You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:
Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
Update using Fractal-Bot.
A system reset also resets the FC Controllers settings. Use the editor to save and restore these settings.."
Did all the above. The emergency boot-loader does not work because I cannot get Fractal Bot to recognise that the FM3 is there.

Never had issues with FM3, USB, Mac OS X ... from reading it's mostly a cable or usb-hub issue.
If in doubt reboot...

Does this debug report from my FM3 mean anything to anyone?

Attachments

• Fractal FM 3 debug screen.jpg
    Fractal FM 3 debug screen.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 31
The only way my Mac will recognize my FM3 is if I 1) Launch FM3 Edit and turn on the FM3. 2) plug in my USB cable to the computer and then the FM3. If I do this in any other order, such as having the USB connected before turning on the FM3, I get nothing.

Maybe I missed it, but what are the models of laptop and desktop you're using? Maybe it would help to know? I have no idea, just a thought.

The only way my Mac will recognize my FM3 is if I 1) Launch FM3 Edit and turn on the FM3. 2) plug in my USB cable to the computer and then the FM3. If I do this in any other order, such as having the USB connected before turning on the FM3, I get nothing.
Hi Mark, I tried this but sadly it still does not connect.

Back
Top Bottom