FM3 big upgrade on AX8 or no?

Random Hero

Inspired
Or is it still negligible apart from that 2%? I saw one video recently where the FM3 sounded worlds ahead but I don’t remember thinking my III sounded significantly better than the AX8?

Thoughts?

In the big picture, there are too many variables to answer your question. I’d imagine most professionals can make an ax8 sound waaaaay better than I can make my FM3 sound.

That said, all other things equal, IMO the FM3 is definitely more than 2% better. How much better? 🤷‍♂️. Standard YMMV caveat applies.

I feel that the Ares FW has a better touch and feel as well as chime over the AX8 FW. I also feel that the FM3 has a steeper learning curve with all of the added features as well.

That said, once you have that under your belt I feel you will have way more versatility with the FM3 over the AX8!

Decisions, decisions. I’m on the wait list for the FM3 for July but am having a hard time deciding on purchasing it. I don’t play outside my home and gave been enjoying the AX8. But alas, it seems it us being left in the dust as far as users, updates, presets and forum posts go. If I can sell my AX8 for a decent price, if would be a bonus. Also, being from Canada inflates the price significantly. 😕

If you loved the layout of AX8 and DON'T USE Axe Fx III AND FC6/12, then I'd say stay for now, since you're holding onto FC features that even Axe Fx II couldn't do with MFC, like the hold X/Y or control switches. I call AX8, the Axe Fx 2.5 Lite.

But the FM3 is the perfect companion to a Axe Fx III + FC6/12 that AX8 never was to the Axe Fx II. I share FC's with my Axe Fx III and FM3 in a Pelican case that fits FC 12 + FC6. I'm a multi-instrumentalist, so I used to use Axe II and AX8 for guitar and steel guitar. Now with multiple inputs and outputs, I use less gear! If I'm doing a gig with just FM3 and guitar, I can use the same case, because FC6 and FM3 are the same size! I play both in situations where my gear is in cartage (trucks and rolling racks) and when I'm just a dude with a Honda Fit LOL

" has a steeper learning curve " I was hoping this wouldn`t be the case. I`m a Fractal nOOb, and I was hoping the FM 3 would be easy to navigate.

A big upgrade already, and the gap widens exponentially with every update. I don't feel like the learning curve is any steeper at all, it's very easy to set up and get great tones in no time at all

If you have an AX8 - which I do and still love (yeah, plus the Axe3, FM3, and still have my II, do your self a favor a buy Austin Buddy's naked amp packs. I'm not affiliated with him, but load up with presets and read how he has it set up and you will very happy you did.

" has a steeper learning curve " I was hoping this wouldn`t be the case. I`m a Fractal nOOb, and I was hoping the FM 3 would be easy to navigate.

To clarify that statement, it has more to do with the switching, button assignments and labeling! That part of the editing is not as intuitive as I thought it would be.

It's not impossible, I'm sure with a little repetition it will become easier to deal with and that's my take. Coming from using an AX8 for the past 4 years and not having played with an AXE FX III, I feel I'm looking at it somewhat from a nubs perspective!

Dialing in the tones is just as easy if not easier than an AX8 or earlier AXE FX units. I feel that has been a constant with FAS products!

Even if the modeling were identical, the drive, phase, compressor, flanger, cab, and reverb blocks have all been updated. Each is significantly improved, IMO. New amp models have been added. Pitch block update from the AxeIII is coming soon as is the performance pages. 4 channels per block is superior to X/Y. etc...

The number of switches is the only place where it is not better (depending on your perspective, some prefer less switches and the smaller footprint).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom