FM3 bass preset discussion

MikeCicero

A work in progress coming over from the Stomp. I must say, Austin Buddy’s presets are a great starting point. The new compressors are excellent. I throw a pedal compressor in the front, and usually an optical at the end of the chain. Playing around with a threshold between -50 and -30 db. With the firmware 5 update, it is critical to have compressors before the amp at instrument level and after it t line level. Huge difference.

Would I like an Aguilar or a GK? Sure. But I found a free Aguilar in Axe Exchange and modified it.

Oh, and I’ve found that an amp cut on the Mesa 2, and turning up the volume on the master amp sounds great.

Update - I’m not a Blackglass guy, but that Jam distortion can get you that great grind without losing low end.

Last edited:
Can we turn this into an AxeIII/FM9/FM3 thread? :D

I want to talk bass too!

Funny you mention compressors on both ends. Ive been using a compressor before the amp only and tbh it feels like its not doing anything. (Bass is set up for similar output dBu on high and low strings) Definitely gona try it after!

i'd love to get an aguilar preset. I love my markbass/aguilar SL-112 setup. If I could replicate that with FM3 I'd be super pleased.

Can we turn this into an AxeIII/FM9/FM3 thread? :D

I want to talk bass too!

Funny you mention compressors on both ends. Ive been using a compressor before the amp only and tbh it feels like its not doing anything. (Bass is set up for similar output dBu on high and low strings) Definitely gona try it after!
In my experiences with both the Helix and FM3. A multi band comp is the best compressor to you. Give it a try!

can someone recommend some settings for just a slight compression?

i'm using something like this:

1647206210518.png

also, for you FRFR guys, do you run bass through it? I've discovered that my guitar sounds great through the aguilar SL112 cabs with a modeled cab so I've been using that pretty much. Requires some tweaking to go back and forth between those cabs and my studio monitors though.

Plus one for bass discussion. Thanks for the tips on compression. I do use a deft for both bass and guitar. Works well for me

Plus one for bass discussion. Thanks for the tips on compression. I do use a deft for both bass and guitar. Works well for me
Look at the reduction meter on right. Adjust the threshold. Just use auto attack and release for now. I usually aim for a max of -10dB but you might want to aim for less. 2:1 is very gentle

also, for you FRFR guys, do you run bass through it? I've discovered that my guitar sounds great through the aguilar SL112 cabs with a modeled cab so I've been using that pretty much. Requires some tweaking to go back and forth between those cabs and my studio monitors though.
I use IEMs now but I think you’d be able to get buy with a EV zlx 15p. Or 12p. Depends on your tolerance for lack of sub frequencies. With both of those you’re looking at ~50hz/60hz roll off. I place our main Sub near me when playing live to “feel” the bass but can get by with out it. Something like that would work great for guitar too.

Back
Top Bottom