FM3 as an FX processor only

Get a load box with a line out and run it into the FM3. It will sound fantastic.
Exactly what I do and use the FM3 as Cab IR loader and Post FX.
Any other boost pedals and stuff you need before the amp : use pedals 😀💪🏼

I too had some issues with hum, noise , too much tone suck for my taste and now it is all history !

This is how I do it :

And this is what I discovered and changed :

I use mine straight into my Deluxe Reverb all the time. No amp or cab, just effects. I use out 2 and adjust the output for unity. It sounds great.

Are you guys running all FX into the front of your amps or are you just running modulation into the amp FX return?

i think the AD/DA converters are just okay. The effects are amazing but I think the converters are better on the Ms3.
Umm… I don't think Fractal has any reason to apologize for the A/D and D/A converters.

From the Wiki regarding the FM3:
  • A/D conversion: 24-bit, 48 kHz, 114 dB dynamic range, frequency response: 20 – 20kHz
  • D/A conversion: 114 dB dynamic range, frequency response: 20 – 20kHz
"The A/D converters have 114 dB of dynamic range and are probably the same converters used in the Stomp. The instrument input on the FM-3 uses a dynamic range enhancement technique which boosts the dynamic range to 123 dB." [5]
"The converters in the FM3 are the same high quality as those in the Axe-Fx III." [6]

Regarding the FX3's converters in the Wiki:
"The audiophile-quality signal path features Burr-Brown SoundPlus and Analog Devices op amps, PPS film caps, a high-voltage bipolar power supply for low distortion and maximum headroom, and flagship-quality Cirrus Logic converters with fully differential input and output circuitry. A thoughtfully designed multi-layer circuit board features gold plating and extensive ground fill for low EMI and immunity to interference. This impressive level of engineering yields the most pristine sound quality, lowest THD, and lowest noise floor of any product we’ve ever created—by far."
"The converters in the Axe-Fx III are exceptionally high quality. What most people don't understand is that the converters themselves are only part of the story. The analog electronics interfacing to the converters are at least as important if not more so. Many consumer grade products (our competitors included) use single-ended circuitry. To get the best performance from an A/D or D/A converter requires using balanced circuitry but that costs twice as much. Also the choice of components will affect the performance. We use balanced circuitry on all our inputs and outputs all the way to and from the converters. We also use premium op-amps and poly film capacitors in crucial locations. Most consumer gear uses single-ended circuitry and low-cost TL07x op-amps (or NE5532). The conversion in the Axe-Fx III is reference grade." [36]
"[…]The CS4385 is Cirrus' highest performance multi-channel DAC. Likewise the ADC is Cirrus' highest performance multi-channel ADC."[Tony at it again...smh, Axe-Fx III inside and out video review]

The MS3 has:

AD Conversion24 bits + AF method
AF method (Adaptive Focus method)This is a proprietary method from Roland & BOSS that vastly improves the signal-to-noise (SN) ratio of the AD and DA converters.
DA Conversion24 bits
Sampling Frequency44.1 kHz

Last edited:
I have to admit that I started to use S/Pdif from the FM3 to Interface Input .....My DRY Marshall amp signal sounds very very very direct and warm and full....nothing digital in it , LOVE IT !
So I guess the Convertors have to be very very good to make it sound that natural !!

Has anyone tried using the FM3 within a loop of an effects switcher (eg. GigRig G2/G3, Boss ES series etc.)? There are a couple of things I'm curious to find out about -

Firstly, whether having the FM3 entirely out of the circuit when the loop is bypassed yields any improvement over having the signal go straight through a blank FM3 preset?

Secondly, whether running some effects (e.g. delay, reverb) 100% wet within the FM3 and running the FM3 loop in parallel (so that there is now analog dry-through) yields any improvement?

Has anyone tried using the FM3 within a loop of an effects switcher (eg. GigRig G2/G3, Boss ES series etc.)? There are a couple of things I'm curious to find out about -

Firstly, whether having the FM3 entirely out of the circuit when the loop is bypassed yields any improvement over having the signal go straight through a blank FM3 preset?

Secondly, whether running some effects (e.g. delay, reverb) 100% wet within the FM3 and running the FM3 loop in parallel (so that there is now analog dry-through) yields any improvement?
I am running my FM3 or stereo Incl dry but keeping the dry signal path as short as possible because of loosing the ‘raw’ tone when connecting more blocks / shunts in the dry line….. FX parallel and meeting only in the output block with the dry signal….. actually planning to record a video on this topic.
If your amp has a parallel FX loop and you play mono : do that !!! Keep as much of the ad/da conversion out of the way even if the fractal products are known for the best conversion ….. or in my case : use S/Pdif …. Helps a lot too if you hear the differences ;)

So YES : Dry signal only through your amp and keep the FM3 100% wet in the loop sounds best !

I am running my FM3 or stereo Incl dry but keeping the dry signal path as short as possible because of loosing the ‘raw’ tone when connecting more blocks / shunts in the dry line….. FX parallel and meeting only in the output block with the dry signal….. actually planning to record a video on this topic.
If your amp has a parallel FX loop and you play mono : do that !!! Keep as much of the ad/da conversion out of the way even if the fractal products are known for the best conversion ….. or in my case : use S/Pdif …. Helps a lot too if you hear the differences ;)

So YES : Dry signal only through your amp and keep the FM3 100% wet in the loop sounds best !
How are you touting it for that last statement?

Don’t understand what you are asking man …..sorry but English is not my native tongue ( if it is said that way …)
English is my native tongue, and I didn’t understand it either.

I think maybe he meant “routing” instead of “touting.”

The PURETONE is an amazing amp.
Crank it up all the way (protect your ears first) and have fun.
Did that once and the FOH guy yelled at me all the time, but I couldn't hear him.
Angus would be green with envy and would throw away all his Marshalls. ;-)

Keep it as a special amp without any effects. Don't ruin the tone with an added FX Loop.
A bunch of analog pedals will work, as this amp is very pedal friendly.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-15 um 12.50.08.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-15 um 12.50.08.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Did you already check your levels? For this application you probably want to have Out 2 Set up for -10dB. Now you maybe send a signal to the FM3 that is way too hot?
And I assume you have checked with a preset that only has Input 1 straight to Out 2?
Jeronimo: Do you recommend for Output 2 at -10db both for running into front of amp and also running into FX loop return?

Jeronimo: Do you recommend for Output 2 at -10db both for running into front of amp and also running into FX loop return?
The -10db recommendation was for running into the front of the amp.
At the FX return, you should be able to run a hotter signal.

I have to admit that I started to use S/Pdif from the FM3 to Interface Input .....My DRY Marshall amp signal sounds very very very direct and warm and full....nothing digital in it , LOVE IT !
So I guess the Convertors have to be very very good to make it sound that natural !!
The S/PDIF signal is digital. Pre-converters.

The S/PDIF signal is digital. Pre-converters.
I know it is a digital signal but still less digital sounding then going through XLR out and then again conversion through my sound card.....so The convertors are that good that I hear a digital sound sounding like it is analog :)

Back
Top Bottom