FM3 - Arpeggiator with minor scale question.

drdzc

Hi everyone :)
I was playing around with the arpeggiator effect and noticed some weird behavior on the 7th note of the minor scale.
I was trying to replicate the arpeggios on the song Bliss by Muse, it pretty much is an arpeggio (notes 1, 3 and 5 of the scale) going 3 octaves up and then descending the same 3 octaves. The chords are C minor, Bb major and F minor.
I set the arpeggiator Key to C and the scale to Aeolian/minor.
For Cm and Fm the arpeggio works normally but for Bb major when it gets to the third octave up (halfway, before going down), it freezes on the same note for like 3 steps and then it works fine.
I did some testing with other keys and it seems this gets replicated on other keys at the same note (the 7th note of the minor scale).
So is this normal behavior/limitation?
Thanks in advance! :)
This is my first post so i cant provide a link with the preset but let me know if i can help somehow with that.

Hi everyone :)
I was playing around with the arpeggiator effect and noticed some weird behavior on the 7th note of the minor scale.
I was trying to replicate the arpeggios on the song Bliss by Muse, it pretty much is an arpeggio (notes 1, 3 and 5 of the scale) going 3 octaves up and then descending the same 3 octaves. The chords are C minor, Bb major and F minor.
I set the arpeggiator Key to C and the scale to Aeolian/minor.
For Cm and Fm the arpeggio works normally but for Bb major when it gets to the third octave up (halfway, before going down), it freezes on the same note for like 3 steps and then it works fine.
I did some testing with other keys and it seems this gets replicated on other keys at the same note (the 7th note of the minor scale).
So is this normal behavior/limitation?
Thanks in advance! :)
This is my first post so i cant provide a link with the preset but let me know if i can help somehow with that.
Hello. You really need to post a preset so folks can take a look at what's going on. You only need to make ten forum posts in order to post an attachment.

Without having your preset to consider I have questions about this statement:
For Cm and Fm the arpeggio works normally but for Bb major when it gets to the third octave up...
The Arpeggiator is just a pitch shifter and funny things can happen at very low and very high frequencies. That may be something to consider but, again, we really need to see your preset.

You don't need a link.

Attach the preset using the Attach Files button.

How many steps have you set? Sounds like maybe too many...

Hi guys, thanks! Here´s the preset.
To reproduce the isssue just play C - Bb - F (Single notes) and you can hear the Bb note making something weird, you can try it across the fretboard also.

The Arpeggiator is just a pitch shifter and funny things can happen at very low and very high frequencies. That may be something to consider but, again, we really need to see your preset.
@fcs101 I actually tried the same note on different positions and it makes the same thing.
It seems to always be the 7th note of the minor scale.

How many steps have you set? Sounds like maybe too many...
@unix-guy I have 16 steps so its maxed out, could that be the issue?.

Thanks!

Attachments

• arpeggiatortest.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Is it playing the wrong note (if yes I think you may need to write a custom scale), or does it just get stuck?

Can you count the number of steps - did it "run out" (ie go past 16), and is the sequence starting again?

Is it playing the wrong note (if yes I think you may need to write a custom scale), or does it just get stuck?
It gets stuck, i checked with lower tempo and it runs the first 7 steps fine, then it plays the 8th for like 3 steps, then continues the arpeggio.
It finishes correctly with 16 steps but during steps 8-10 it plays the same note.

Does your source note (ie the reference point from which the FM3 begins the arpeggio) change?

I'm not in front of FM3 Edit - can you vizualise the step sequencer - ie see what is happening on steps 8, 9, 10? I thought this could be seen in the Controllers section ...

Yeah...running your preset and trying a couple different keys different notes on different chords the sequencer acted unpredictably in different ways. For example, using Bb Mixolydian, the C and Bb arpeggios now sound correctly but the F messes up on the high octave. I'd suggest opening a bug.

Back
Top Bottom