FM3 and wireless IEM transmitter on one pedal board: Silly?

Is that silly, trying to put a wireless IEM transmitter together with the FM3 on a pedal board?

I tried to find references in the AX8 forum but didn't find any. I think one user mentioned a similar plan here on an FM3 post.

If it does make sense: any do's and don'ts how to go about that?
I used to mount my Sennheiser IEM wireless and Sennheiser wireless mic receiver under my AX8 pedalboard with no issues. With a custom 4-in-1 cable running to our monitor mixer, it made setup a breeze. I ran the one cable back to the mixer (with the stereo feed for the IEM’s coming from the mixer, and the mono XLR for the wireless mic and the mono XLR for AX8 running to the mixer) and a power cable. It took a minute plug it all in and be up and running. Never had any reception issues or added noise.
248F4DE7-ECD4-49F3-934A-7ABAC2A5D92F.jpeg
0598E18A-879C-4CB0-946D-F1A4F3E08C49.jpeg
7C8996FB-970C-4B33-ACAC-DC311F6332F1.jpeg

I will put my wireless IEM transmitter on the pedalboard too when I'll build my FM3 rig.
Here's the clever part of it: Usually, during gigs, the venue will have Monitors on the front of the stage, facing the players. All it would take is for you to unplug the XLR cable from a monitor and plug it into the pedalboard. Bam! You're set..
Also, there's usually a monitor next to the drummer. Same thing - just that the XLR goes directly to a pocket headphone amp.
It's really convenient. No need to explain anything complex to an unexperienced local sound guy.

I will put my wireless IEM transmitter on the pedalboard too when I'll build my FM3 rig.
Here's the clever part of it: Usually, during gigs, the venue will have Monitors on the front of the stage, facing the players. All it would take is for you to unplug the XLR cable from a monitor and plug it into the pedalboard. Bam! You're set..
Also, there's usually a monitor next to the drummer. Same thing - just that the XLR goes directly to a pocket headphone amp.
It's really convenient. No need to explain anything complex to an unexperienced local sound guy.
Assuming you have powered monitors... And assuming the sound guy is ok with you unplugging his monitors.

Using phones for Wireless IEM seems like a cool idea.
However, I've set myself a rule to never use laptops during gigs. Having a small dedicated device is more convenient.
Also, I don't trust the digital (Wifi) transmission at all. I bet It will work in small bars, and during rehearsals, but bring it to an arena, where there's hundreds of cellphones and I bet it'll crap out...

Ten years ago we (my old band) already used phones for wireless IEM.. all we needed was a small FM transmitter :D

As an RF tech... should work fine. Intermodal issues can arise from proximity, near or far. In the real world, if you have an issue just move the antennas around. Usually solves it.

Back
Top Bottom