FM3 and true bypass pedals issue?

DavidCarrMusic

Inspired
Hi all.
I've got a repeat issue where true bypass pedals like my old Ibanez standard fuzz, when activated cause a big dropout in volume. In my live rig I use a buffered overdrive/boost pedal in front of my FM3 which has no issues (UME OverUnity).
Other problem pedals are a Univibe clone, my original Phase 90 and a Tone bender clone- all true bypass. When I kick them on the volume drops out and swells back up. Am I doing something wrong?

Du you use a heavy compressor in the FM3? Maybe the Stompbox switch generates a pop noise which lets the compressor pump heavy when you switch on or off.

No, if I use a compressor it's nothing that heavy. The guitar signal briefly completely drops to zero then climbs back. Weird as.

No change. I'm using a 70's Ibanez Standard Fuzz with a new battery. Kick it in and the sound drops down to zero then creeps back. Just as bad when you turn it off.

What happens if you plug your pedal directly to an real Git Amp input?
The Ibanez and all my other non-buffered pedals, OCD, Tone Bender, Colorsound Wah etc work as they should plugged into my '71 Super lead. Did you see the vid where I put a buffered pedal in between the FM3 and Ibanez and it all works fine?

Last edited:
Just tested my FM3 with a cheap true bypass OCD clone in the Input but hadn’t your problem - works fine when switching.
I had an old neumann studio compressor which also did this thing when activated - there was a bad capacitator in the circuit, but in your case its maybe another problem.

Does it do this if you create a new preset with just input block, out to FX pedals, back into input2, into an amp block and then to the output, and with just any one of the pedals in the 'loop'? That would help narrow down what the potential issues are.

Also, what cabling are you using between which I/O of the FM3? I don't know that cabling could cause that issue, but I'm wondering for example if it might be triggering something in the humbuster circuit when toggling the pedal on/off, especially if there is a DC offset between the bypassed and engaged pedals (which might be likely in old pedals with leaky caps ...).

Does it do this if you create a new preset with just input block, out to FX pedals, back into input2, into an amp block and then to the output, and with just any one of the pedals in the 'loop'? That would help narrow down what the potential issues are.

Also, what cabling are you using between which I/O of the FM3? I don't know that cabling could cause that issue, but I'm wondering for example if it might be triggering something in the humbuster circuit when toggling the pedal on/off, especially if there is a DC offset between the bypassed and engaged pedals (which might be likely in old pedals with leaky caps ...).
Thanks, I'll try that idea.
You can see in the video the path is guitar (Les Paul Classic) into pedals into input jack. Nothing fancy. Admittedly the Fuzz is the worst of them all. A new Mosky Univibe I just got does the same thing but not as bad- then it eventually comes good. Weird as.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and have a batch of shitty pedals hahaha.

Thanks, I'll try that idea.
You can see in the video the path is guitar (Les Paul Classic) into pedals into input jack. Nothing fancy. Admittedly the Fuzz is the worst of them all. A new Mosky Univibe I just got does the same thing but not as bad- then it eventually comes good. Weird as.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and have a batch of shitty pedals hahaha.
Sorry I was assuming it was in a loop - if just in front, then I suggest trying guitar->pedal (just one to start) -> FM3 input. Then in the FM3 just input block->amp block->cab->output. Try each of the pedals on their own to confirm it happens with any one of them, and try different cables and guitars - again, to eliminate them as possible variables.

If that’s what you’re already doing, then I would suspect something with the input/noise gate (as others have mentioned above), in part because I can’t imagine what else it could be. And my next thought after that would be to try a factory reset of the FM3, and possibly try another unit.

Back
Top Bottom