FM3 and LANEY LFR-112: realistic option for bedroom level playing?

Lolo34

HI everyone,

Anxiously awaiting the delivery of my FM3. Meanwhile, I am contemplating the purchase of a Laney LFR-112 and was wondering about the audio quality at bedroom level when paired with the FM3.
Alternatively, I also have the option to use the FM3 with my Laney Studio LionHeart 5 W with a 4CM method but I really want to benefit from amp and cab modelling the FM3 has to offer.
Any insights and return on experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Lolo

I have 2 Laney LFR-112’s and love them!
clean, powerful, accurate, plenty of low end.
they’ll work great in a bedroom, but also could easily fill a huge stage

Thanks a lot for your reply PincoTech
No problem, you won’t be disappointed.
The only suggestion I have is set the volume on the Laney at 1/2 or lower, so you don’t hear the tweeter hiss. At 1/2 it has enough power to piss off the neighbors. Also make sure the tweeter attenuator is set at center 12 o’clock (neutral) . Mine shipped with the tweeters cranked, and it took me a while to figure out why the EQ seemed so unbalanced.

That’s true too. If it’s only for bedroom Playing, and you sit in the same general spot HS7’s are great. I have HS8’s in the studio myself and love them.

Had I not gone for the Xitone Active wedge, I would have gone with the Laney LFR-212. I have heard its pretty decent. And I loved the mini footprint upright 2X12 cab form it has.

No problem, you won’t be disappointed.
The only suggestion I have is set the volume on the Laney at 1/2 or lower, so you don’t hear the tweeter hiss. At 1/2 it has enough power to piss off the neighbors. Also make sure the tweeter attenuator is set at center 12 o’clock (neutral) . Mine shipped with the tweeters cranked, and it took me a while to figure out why the EQ seemed so unbalanced.
First of all, thanks again for all of you guys for the insights regarding my query. I have finally received my FM3 this morning and spent the rest of the day experimenting different options:

1- Standard set-up FM3 to a pair of Yamaha HS7. Good, no major complaint whatsoever
2- FM3 - 4CM (Leon Todd set-up) to a Laney L5 studio head to Laney L112T (passive cab) loaded with a Celestion F12M-150 triple cone.

Guess what, I could not be happier, the option 2 sounds fantastic. Real amp in the room feel, even at bedroom level.

Here’s my humble return on experience so far.

Cheers

Just to add-up to my previous post, I also tried the 4 CM set-up as described above but this time using a Quilter mini-head 101. Very pleased with the result with this solid-state amp.

FWIW, just tried a Foxgear Kolt 45 pedal as power amp with FM3. Extremely satisfied, totally transparent plus basic EQ available on the fly. Clean sound up to full volume.

Back
Top Bottom