Fm3 and Kemper Stage: anyone else have both

sparkle

Inspired
I just got the FM3 a few weeks ago…
Curious anyone else has both athe FM3 and Stage…
I know I am in the “honeymoon” phase… but the FM3 seems much easier to dial in?

Thoughts?
Also if you use both… what make you choose which unit for which gig?

I keep toying with getting a Kemper as I've never had one, and Fractal's killed my GAS for everything else

I was actually looking at one on eBay and watched a few YouTube videos yesterday and figured there was nothing there that the Fractal couldn't achieve.
I'd get one at some point, but only if it's a steal

I contemplated getting the stage before ordering the FM3.

It seems straightforward to use I like the wifi connection to the iPad app.
What put me off was the fact that you need a decent profile for every sound you need - there is some tweak ability per profile, not not huge & it would be a pain sorting all the profiles out.
Still think it would be cool to try it though.

Last edited:
I contemplated getting the stage before ordering the FM3.

It seems straightforward to use I killed the wifi connection to the iPad app.
What put me off was the fact that you need a decent profile for every sound you need - there is some tweak ability per profile, not not huge & it would be a pain sorting all the profiles out.
Honestly the profile part was what always had me at … it is almost there… I did find one profiler Mat fig…that I liked..

That's what has always kept me off from Kemper too. I like profiling if it's to capture amps I own because that makes for a portable "good enough" version but hunting for the perfect profile otherwise seems like a rabbit hole that is just as bad as finding the perfect IRs.

I only have 1 valve amp now - a Blackstar Series 1-45 combo. I wouldn’t have done any captures from it, but just doing that one amp would have created a multitude of profiles. 2 clean flavours, an OD 1 & OD 2, each with different gain stages and then dealing in the EQ & ISF for each profile…..I guess could have just kept the ISF to 3 settings per profile. But even that would have resulted in around 36 profiles for that single amp?
The authentic tab on the fractal models really appeals to me……😊

I only have 1 valve amp now - a Blackstar Series 1-45 combo. I wouldn’t have done any captures from it, but just doing that one amp would have created a multitude of profiles. 2 clean flavours, an OD 1 & OD 2, each with different gain stages and then dealing in the EQ & ISF for each profile…..I guess could have just kept the ISF to 3 settings per profile. But even that would have resulted in around 36 profiles for that single amp?
The authentic tab on the fractal models really appeals to me……😊
I had a Mark V (before my Kemper before my Helix before my Axe Fx III before my FM3). I had a couple decent profiles, but that could have made dozens as well. I liked having "my" Mark sound in the Kemper, but I despised the profiling process. It wouldn't sound right, so I'd "refine" it, but depending on where you played on the neck of the guitar and how you played, it would dramatically shift the tone/EQ. It was a lot of frustration. I kinda wanna pick one up again just for the hell of it, honestly, but that's only because I think the toaster looks cool as hell :)

@Ugly Bunny Not withstanding the cool toaster look, would the quad cortex suit you better for that?
If wanting profiles/captures of your own equipment, I’d probably go QC these days, though the availability of pro level aftermarket captures is limited at present I suspect?

@Ugly Bunny Not withstanding the cool toaster look, would the quad cortex suit you better for that?
If wanting profiles/captures of your own equipment, I’d probably go QC these days, though the availability of pro level aftermarket captures is limited at present I suspect?
I had one for about 3 days. We're not allowed to talk smack about other brands here, but let's just say, if we were, I would. I love their plugins but the QC is a piece ...[REDACTED]...

Jk, it's not that bad; it sounded fine and the UI was neat, but the development pace bummed me out and it's just not where I need it to be in terms of effects, control, MIDI, etc. I returned it and bought the FM3 (for the second time). I'll probably buy one once it matures a bit.

I no longer desire to capture my own profiles; everything I've made in the FM3 kills any profile I ever made or even heard, honestly :)

Interesting, I thought about getting one. One of my sons has encouraged me to get one - partly based on the plug-ins. The lack of development, and it missing core features, stopped my. Currently looks pretty, but seems to lack substance……

While I wouldn't consider the Fractals necessarily easy to use, they are not as hard to understand as some make it out to be. Never played a QC but the interface on the unit looks nice and seems easier to use to those less involved with tweaking, or just want to make sounds. I never cared for the profilers as I'd rather make my own sounds and not be limited by someone else's version of that sound.

However, I'd much rather be in the position we are... Amazing tone and feel with a so-so editor and screen layout. Those things are a lot easier to fix, and can attract more attention and care from Fractal when you're not trying to "catch up" in terms of sound.

Had a Kemper Stage and prior to going Fractal, and really liked it. Guys in the band
I play in liked it, too. We all thought it sounded good. Could be a little too compressed
in spots and wasn't as dynamic and responsive as I have found the Fractal to be.

All I would toss in is that I would never get another to replace a Fractal, and it doesn't
add much that I don't currently have.

Fractal keeps pushing and moving their tech and engines forward, while Kemper seems
to be stuck and resting on laurels that sound and feel a bit dated. To me. :)

No major issues with the FM-3. I was having issues with gaps in sound changes that I've not experienced with other processors I've had in the past. But I seem to have worked through most of those issues using different methods of building patches. I did one gig with it (before I fixed my sound gap issues). I was struggling with foot switching & seeing the screen on the floor (due to my vision). My sound was buried in the stage mix. So I decided I just need to rework things to fix those issues. Just haven't finished reworking them yet.

I plan on profiling some of my nice amps with the Stage but haven't gotten around to it yet. I ended up purchasing a bunch in the meantime & am very pleased with a lot of them. I do use quite a lot of different profiles (I still haven't gone through all the ones I have). I never have a problem finding one I like pretty quickly.

Both to me are really great processors. They each have their own mojo. I just feel blessed & fortunate to be able to have both of these units.

I have both and find that they’re equally good, but in different ways. I prefer the Kemper if I’m using a pedalboard. I think it takes drives pedals better. If I’m gigging with just a device I’ll find myself using the stage more often than the fm3 because each preset can have its own effects (not limited to 4 blocks), morphing, gapless switching, and switches to activate effects are easier to get to.

HOWEVER, the effects on the stage aren’t as good as the fm3 and digging for profiles is a real pain. I prefer the fm3 for practice and dialing in sounds.

My perfect scenario is to have a Kemper for when I want a pedalboard and a fm9 when I want an all in one device. But, the fm3 is perfect for travel and practice…

If I’m gigging with just a device I’ll find myself using the stage more often than the fm3 because each preset can have its own effects (not limited to 4 blocks), morphing, gapless switching,...
Funny thing is, you can say the same things about the FM3 (each preset can have its own effects, not limited to four blocks, you can have morphing and gapless switching...

and switches to activate effects are easier to get to.
Not sure how to respond here. On my FM3, the the switches are right where my foot expects to find them. :)

Back
Top Bottom