Not a Bug FM3 and FM3-Edit going nuts when clock-sync'd

tjontheroad

Inspired
I was clock sync'ing the FM3 to Logic while monitoring FM3 Edit. Both were wildly doing odd things when receiving the time code. FM3's footswitches displays changed on their own to various random presets names. FM3 Edit block displays randomly would disappear and then reappear.

If you watch this video I posted here;
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-fm3-synth-jam-without-reason.159965/

You can see on my 2nd monitor screen FM3 Edit's weird behavior. Note, the sound didn't change. Only the displays.

Are you sending MIDI Time Code? Our products do not recognize or support MTC. They do support MIDI Clock.

I believe it was only clock. I’ll double check the settings tomorrow. Would MTC cause issues even though it’s not recognized? Shouldn’t that data just be ignored?

ok, you need to check your sync settings and make sure you're not creating a clock loop, which will give you crazy tempo readings and you also need to go into logic's settings and disable all the midi commands it sends out (usually on reset).

I did some tests and ID'd when the issue occurs. I'm set up with USB to connect with FM3 Edit. However, FM3 doesn't show as an available MIDI device in Logic when connected via USB on it's own. It only is available as an audio device. As such, I'm connected via my iConnectivity MioXL to the FM3 DIN MIDI in for the clock sync. Sending MTC or not doesn't make any difference either way. The issue is when I send the sync to "all" ports rather than the specific MioXL DIN port. This I believe creates a loop via the IAC Driver bus (note to self... "all" is bad).

Interestedly, there is no effect to the sound or the sync itself. Only thing that happens is the footswitch displays all change to the same name that is in the left most footswitch at that time. And, the FM3 Edit block displays disappear and then later reappear seemingly at random.

Of course all of this could be avoided if FM3 could receive the sync via USB. If I'm missing something on how that works, please let me know. Otherwise, add that to the wish list.

Thanks,
TJ

BTW. I'm running MacOS 10.15.2

Still having the same clock sync issue with this different setup. My Polyend Medusa is sending sync to the FM3. FM3 is connected to my computer via USB. There is no possible MIDI loop here as the FM3 MIDI Thru is off.

FM3 Medusa.jpg

I did some tests and ID'd when the issue occurs. I'm set up with USB to connect with FM3 Edit. However, FM3 doesn't show as an available MIDI device in Logic when connected via USB on it's own. It only is available as an audio device. As such, I'm connected via my iConnectivity MioXL to the FM3 DIN MIDI in for the clock sync. Sending MTC or not doesn't make any difference either way. The issue is when I send the sync to "all" ports rather than the specific MioXL DIN port. This I believe creates a loop via the IAC Driver bus (note to self... "all" is bad).

Interestedly, there is no effect to the sound or the sync itself. Only thing that happens is the footswitch displays all change to the same name that is in the left most footswitch at that time. And, the FM3 Edit block displays disappear and then later reappear seemingly at random.

Of course all of this could be avoided if FM3 could receive the sync via USB. If I'm missing something on how that works, please let me know. Otherwise, add that to the wish list.

Thanks,
TJ

BTW. I'm running MacOS 10.15.2

Manual: "The FM3 is NOT a USB MIDI Device. It uses “COMM over USB” channels for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, but will not appear as a MIDI device in a DAW or other MIDI program."

Back
Top Bottom