FM3 and external switch options?

No you cannot a momentary is a control switch so essentially its hold function is what you are using it for
but in the manual you cannot add tap or hold to momentary
That is just wrong...

A momentary switch acting as a stand-in switch can have any function as a built-in (and also momentary) switch.

I think you may be confusing a momentary "function" with a physically momentary switch.

No you cannot a momentary is a control switch so essentially its hold function is what you are using it for
but in the manual you cannot add tap or hold to momentary
a Stand-In switch can have a Tap and a Hold function.

you can make it a Control Switch if you want to.

a Stand-In switch is not just a Control Switch.

Are you trying to get the tap and hold for the same momentary switch to work for different functions? I was having a problem where on Switch 2 the tap would work for tap tempo and I wanted the hold to work for tuner. The tap worked well but when I released the last tap the tuner would come on. I had the switch set for normally closed and that threw it off.

After changing the configuration on the FM3 @ Set up -> I/O -> Pedal - Switch 2 Tip Polarity and Ring Polarity to normally open/momentary make. Then went to FC Controllers/Onboard Switches ->Stand-in Switches - FM3 SW2 Tip -> Layout 8: Utilities Switch1: Utility, Tap Tempo Then in the bottom right of the display Knob E GOTO Switch it shows the Tap function and Page-> Hold function.

See if that gets you where you need to get.
That was exactly what I was looking for - thank you!! Here's a virtual beer!! 🍺

a Stand-In switch can have a Tap and a Hold function.

you can make it a Control Switch if you want to.

a Stand-In switch is not just a Control Switch.
I missed the stand in part
i thought he meant setting up a momentary on the unit itself
my bad

For you Morningstar MC6/MC8 users: do you have to manually program the text on the MC screen? I've seen pics where it displays the preset or scene name from the FM3, but not sure if that was added manually by the user or if it just pulls in the text via the midi connection.
It's added manually by the user. You have to label each switch using the MC6 editor for each switch function you program. Hope that answers your question.

How do you change an external switch's function in a per-preset way?

For example, for home looping, I set it so one of my Mosky switches Tap engages an octave effect for bass parts (and Holds for the tuner). I'd like to turn off the octave Tap function on my main gigging preset. (Yes, I could just remove the block, but I actually need it live too, but using one of the FM3 switches).

My concern is that it's close to my real fuzz pedal and I don't want to accidently engage the octave effect when stomping on the fuzz.

Thanks.

How do you change an external switch's function in a per-preset way?

For example, for home looping, I set it so one of my Mosky switches Tap engages an octave effect for bass parts (and Holds for the tuner). I'd like to turn off the octave Tap function on my main gigging preset. (Yes, I could just remove the block, but I actually need it live too, but using one of the FM3 switches).

My concern is that it's close to my real fuzz pedal and I don't want to accidently engage the octave effect when stomping on the fuzz.

Thanks.
Externals can't be Per-Preset unless you make a Stand-In switch stand-in for a Per-Preset function on a real switch.

Best to use external switches for things where state doesn't matter (Scene or Preset Increment/Decrement or Toggle, etc) or where it's very obvious that it's engaged or not just by listening.
So, I’m a long time Fractal person but an FM3, noob. It seems that I cannot assign preset increment/decrement to the my two button external foot switch but I can assign scene increment/decrement? This limitation seems arbitrary to the point where it almost feels like it must be bug or something… but mine which is on FW 4.01 only allows CCs for the preset up/down On the settings menu. Is this slated to be fixed?

So, I’m a long time Fractal person but an FM3, noob. It seems that I cannot assign preset increment/decrement to the my two button external foot switch but I can assign scene increment/decrement? This limitation seems arbitrary to the point where it almost feels like it must be bug or something… but mine which is on FW 4.01 only allows CCs for the preset up/down On the settings menu. Is this slated to be fixed?
Can you assign it to a built-in switch? If so, you can assign it to a stand-in switch.

Unless there's a bug or some other limitation, the FM3 should support this. As per the Footswitch Function Guide:

E6E3755A-6AFD-44DF-B14F-E9FCBB2144F6.jpeg

No CC only. Feels like a bug.
Just realized I posted the Bank functions not Preset functions page from the manual.

I don't have an FM3 so I can't confirm myself.

Just to confirm, when you go to a built-in switch in one of your layouts, you don't see Increment/Decrement options under Preset functions?

15FBA69A-91F8-4D1F-96E1-0F3D297DCA6A.jpeg

If not, I would suggest contacting Fractal support to see if this is indeed and bug and if they're working on it.

It's like that on the Axe III as well. Preset Inc and Dec in the Midi/Remote menu > Other page only allows MIDI CC's to be selected and not external pedals or switches. Seems like an oversight since Scene Inc and Dec supports both just below it, but there may be some reason it's omitted. @FractalAudio @Admin M@ any word on this?

It's like that on the Axe III as well. Preset Inc and Dec in the Midi/Remote menu > Other page only allows MIDI CC's to be selected and not external pedals or switches. Seems like an oversight since Scene Inc and Dec supports both just below it, but there may be some reason it's omitted. @FractalAudio @Admin M@ any word on this?
But you can do it with a stand-in switch, right? Since built-in switches (supposedly) have the Preset Increment/Decrement functions, assign the switches you want with those settings and then assign the external switches as stand-in for those.

I have never even tried the amp boost options built into the actual amp block...
But, I need to engage it somehow :)

You should try the built in boost. At first I didn’t use it much, but now I’m hooked on it. I just run it like I would an overdrive. Some amps sound better with it on I think.

I need to get a double switch box myself. Just for tap tempo and the tuner.

Thanks for confirming...

Tuner does not work either; but tempo does... It is basically all screwed up on this page wrt to the ext switches.
@FractalAudio at @Admin M@

I don't understand how to set the FC switch functions on an external switch. Will check the docs, etc. Thanks all.

Configure the external switch as a Stand-In Switch in the FC config menu. You can then make it stand in for any switch in your FC layouts. Page 80 in the FM3 manual.
Yes @unix-guy and @mr_fender had already suggested this. I did get it sorted using that method but I do not like messing with the FC layout settings just to get this working. IMHO, the:

Setup->Remote->MIDI/Remote-Other

Page is buggy wrt to Tuner, Preset Inc/Dec, and several other settings that it does not allow to be assigned to anything other than MIDI CCs. I've submitted a report to FAS support and tagged @Admin M@ and @FractalAudio on this thread so hopefully it will get a look. Obviously it's not the biggest issue in the world, though. :)

Thanks everyone who responded to my original ask, nice that the FAS stuff is so flexible; I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom