FM3 and external switch options?

Here's a dual aux switch I saw on Reverb. Not sure if three per exp jack will work. I'm sure they could build a dual with four switches. Just exploring.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.37.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.37.02 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
This is news to me. I suppose I should stop searching for a TRS footswitch with 4+ stomp buttons? Need to go midi?
Depends on what else you need. If you don't need an expression pedal then just use both switch jacks... Then you have 4 switches. But you won't find a 4-button switch with a single TRS because it won't work...

You could look at things like the Voes MX-5 or the Morningstar MC3/6/8 midi pedals.

Depends on what else you need. If you don't need an expression pedal then just use both switch jacks... Then you have 4 switches. But you won't find a 4-button switch with a single TRS because it won't work...

You could look at things like the Voes MX-5 or the Morningstar MC3/6/8 midi pedals.
Good to know. I do need a expression pedal. So I suppose it's Midi, or 2 button TRS for me

For you Morningstar MC6/MC8 users: do you have to manually program the text on the MC screen? I've seen pics where it displays the preset or scene name from the FM3, but not sure if that was added manually by the user or if it just pulls in the text via the midi connection.

Not sure if there is a thread on this already, please merge if so Mods.

i am replacing an AX8 with FM3. Side by side a FM3 and FC6 are 6 inches wider than my AX8, won’t fit on my board.....6lbs heavier....and kinda pricey at time of FM3 purchase.
I am old school ....need more than 3 switches.....I know this, minimum of 6 required to do scenes and a few stomps.

So what are the options that will play nice with the FM3, and show on/off status , I don’t need fancy LED screen, Labels work fine for me.
thanks for any help guys and girls.
Which are some controllers that can do this?
RJM and Liquid Foot are the only ones I've heard about. You should contact them to see if they support the FM3 though. The FM3 uses the same protocol but a different device ID - see the FAQ - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-faq.158819/

My MX line Midi Controllers will do the job.

The MX will sync with the FM3: Preset Name, Scene Name, active scene, block on/off status, block selected channel, tuner, tempo, looper, ....

Easy to use editor will a lot of FM3 templates to start.

3 Pages: 2 fully programmable, 1 fixed preset page.
Each page has 5-6-9-12 or 18 buttons.
Each button has normal press and long press with each 6 commands.

The top models (MX-12/MX-18) can be connected with 1 cable to the FM3, providing power, midi in and midi out.

More info on voes.be

mx12_3x4-03.jpg

mx9-08.jpg

mx5-01.jpg

Last edited:
Here is something I purchased that gave me "4" additional footswitches (with two TRS cables) making my FM3 become an FM7 or my FC-6 become an FC-10 (it works exactly like "4" of the foot switches on the FM3/FC-6):
View attachment 81078

Do you have an expression pedal size this would take the 2 pedal inputs on an FM3?

I already have an EV1, so I'd like to keep using it.

I like Voes and Morningstar, but looking for the best value. Seems either would do what I want

Last edited:
Do you have an expression pedal size this would take the 2 pedal inputs on an FM3?

I already have an EV1, so I'd like to keep using it.

I like Voes and Morningstar, but looking for the best value. Seems either would do what I want
Sorry but I am not sure what you are asking in your question.

Could you restate it for me?

Sorry but I am not sure what you are asking in your question.

Could you restate it for me?
Oh I'm sorry, autocorrect got me.

Question is. Since you have both FM3 pedal inputs occupied by your external footswitches, how would you run an expression pedal. Midi?

Question is. Since you have both FM3 pedal inputs occupied by your external footswitches, how would you run an expression pedal. Midi?
I ran into the same problem and used a Disaster Area MIDI Baby pedal to connect my expression pedal to the MIDI input of the FM3. Works flawlessy.

20200727_193204.jpg

Last edited:

Correct, and reference the reply from @bdrepko to you for a good midi option :)

Also, I do have an FC-6 as well so I only needed the midi option when using just the FM3.

I ended up finding Morningstar MC6. I like how the Mk2 version has the ability to send different commands based on whether the stomp button is pushed vs held down, so it mimics the FC6 functions in that way. Also the programmable LCD screen is nice to see what the buttons do. I didn't want to spend quite as much as I did but it is a piece of equipment I could use in multiple rigs in the future, so I figured it was worth the investment.

I ended up finding Morningstar MC6. I like how the Mk2 version has the ability to send different commands based on whether the stomp button is pushed vs held down, so it mimics the FC6 functions in that way. Also the programmable LCD screen is nice to see what the buttons do. I didn't want to spend quite as much as I did but it is a piece of equipment I could use in multiple rigs in the future, so I figured it was worth the investment.

I have an MC6 and an MC8. They’re both phenomenal units. I haven’t tried or even really researched using them either the FM3 because I ordered an FC6 at the same time as the FM3. Lately though I’ve been wanting to build a rig with a smaller footprint.

Although the MC6 is narrower than the FC6 and would’ve worked well functionally, I decided to go with a Voes MX-5 mostly because of the form factor. I also like that it can communicate 2-way with the FM3. I’m not sure how well MC6/8 does this.

Anyone know if it's possible to utilise the hold function on a momentary footswitch? Having some issues programming my Ampero switch to use the hold function - the tap works well though but would love to know if I should stop trying or if I can add additional functions or not

Anyone know if it's possible to utilise the hold function on a momentary footswitch? Having some issues programming my Ampero switch to use the hold function - the tap works well though but would love to know if I should stop trying or if I can add additional functions or not
No you cannot a momentary is a control switch so essentially its hold function is what you are using it for
but in the manual you cannot add tap or hold to momentary

Are you trying to get the tap and hold for the same momentary switch to work for different functions? I was having a problem where on Switch 2 the tap would work for tap tempo and I wanted the hold to work for tuner. The tap worked well but when I released the last tap the tuner would come on. I had the switch set for normally closed and that threw it off.

After changing the configuration on the FM3 @ Set up -> I/O -> Pedal - Switch 2 Tip Polarity and Ring Polarity to normally open/momentary make. Then went to FC Controllers/Onboard Switches ->Stand-in Switches - FM3 SW2 Tip -> Layout 8: Utilities Switch1: Utility, Tap Tempo Then in the bottom right of the display Knob E GOTO Switch it shows the Tap function and Page-> Hold function.

See if that gets you where you need to get.

Back
Top Bottom