FM3 and external Looper via FOH and Cab. Output

MrPond

Experienced
Hey guys!

I'm planning on getting the FM3 to actually rebuild my whole guitar rig (big pedalboard, multiple amps/cabs, ...)
The digital route only works for me having also the option to run a real guitar cab, which of course works with fractal.
I checked the manual how the FOH+Cab setup works - i essentially need this setup. BUT: With one addition.
Currently i use the EHX 720 looper to play prerecorded stuff (i run my pedalboard via 4CM) and the looper is placed at the end of my FX loop to get "everything".
With this placement, i'm able to really record every sound i have.

Sooo :sweatsmile: I need to place the 720 at the end of my "loop" which means: After the amp but before the cab block (and after all "fx loop" effects), because i need to separate the signal to output both FOH and cab signals differently. With this placement, the looper would react identically compared to my current board.
The big question is:How can i integrate the 720 like described "into" the FM3? It looks like i would need one additional in/out, right? ...Or do i miss something?
Or, can i use these two jacks?

fm3-looper-setup.jpg

Any help is much appreciated!!
This looper issue is one of the last things to check :) But it's crucial ..

So long!
Niklas

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware you won't be able to do what you want. In order to use FRFR out to FOH and no Cab block out to a real cab you will need to use both Output 1 and Output 2.

Unless you only want the Looper going to FOH, in which case you might be able to use one side (let's say Left) of Output 2 going to your real Cab and then use the other side in conjunction with the same side of Input 2 for your Looper.

Note that the placement on the grid will be the same:

54D7657C-B842-48DF-AD53-2F2BA82698B8.jpeg

As far as I'm aware you won't be able to do what you want. In order to use FRFR out to FOH and no Cab block out to a real cab you will need to use both Output 1 and Output 2.

What i thought ... mhh.

Unless you only want the Looper going to FOH

My dream setup would be to feed both the FOH and cab signal with my looper.

... in which case you might be able to use one side (let's say Left) of Output 2 going to your real Cab and then use the other side in conjunction with the same side of Input 2 for your Looper.

I don't get that setup ... the FM3 has ... Output 2L and Output 2R, Output 1R and Output 1L. But there are 2 XLR and 4 standard jacks and - what jacks are exactly my/your marked ones? ..
The top jack of your marked blue signal is "Output .." what? And, the corresponding input? ...

Hard to explain, but - what would i achieve axactly if i would place my looper like you described with the blue signal path? ..

What i thought ... mhh.

My dream setup would be to feed both the FOH and cab signal with my looper.

I don't get that setup ... the FM3 has ... Output 2L and Output 2R, Output 1R and Output 1L. But there are 2 XLR and 4 standard jacks and - what jacks are exactly my/your marked ones? ..
The top jack of your marked blue signal is "Output .." what? And, the corresponding input? ...

Hard to explain, but - what would i achieve axactly if i would place my looper like you described with the blue signal path? ..
Uhh... Well, the labels are hard to read in that image on my iPad.

I thought those jacks I marked were for Input/Output 2 but now I realize that isn't quite right.

What I was suggesting was this simplified routing

Code:
              /-> Output 2 L -> Real amp/cab
Input 1 -> Amp -> Output 2 R (no shunt) Input 2 R -> Cab -> Output 1
                          \-> Looper ->/

This would get your Looper in to your signal chain for FOH but not your real cab.

Of course, I just checked to see that the Looper is actually stereo. Do you need stereo input?

If not, something like this could be used:

Code:
Input 1 -> Amp -> Output 2 (no shunt)        Input 2 R -> Cab -> Output 1
                        L \-> Looper Out R->/
                        R \-> Looper Out L-> real amp/cab

Back
Top Bottom