FM3 and Axe-fx III together

Absolutely. The two devices do not have any specific integration or intrinsic knowledge of each other. However, they both speak MIDI and they've got plenty of IO options to do some integration like you would with any other gear.

the FM3 does not connect to the Axe3 via FASlink. the FM3 is not a controller like an FC. they are separate units. MIDI could be used to send commands between the units.

That's cool. It just seems like there was opportunity there that the design team either didn't consider or made a conscious decision about on purpose.

That's cool. It just seems like there was opportunity there that the design team either didn't consider or made a conscious decision about on purpose.
i would think they made a conscious decision. it's hard to integrate 2 completely separate units over an XLR cable.

they are just separate main units. just like 2 axe3's that don't interface.

i would think they made a conscious decision. it's hard to integrate 2 completely separate units over an XLR cable.

Sure, more likely to see something like that in future products that may become network capable in some way.

It'd be a nice Wish List item, though. Maybe for future hardware, or as a future use for that other USB connector. :)

Last edited:
I already have an Axe-FX III and I will soon receive a FM3.
Several options
1 - I can keep the FM3 at home for practicing and take the Axe-FX III to the reharsal room.
2 - I can take the FM3 to the reharsal room when I need to take the bus or can't carry my big Axe-FX III box.
3 - I can use the FM3 with my ENGL tube amp with the 4 cables-method.
4 - I can combine FM3/ENGL 4CM with my Axe-FX III Amp Sims.
5 - I can record via XLR my FM3/ENGL 4CM with a loadbox + Axe-FX III Amp Sims with effects + A dry signal...
6 - I can have a backup for me or the other guitarist if there is a problem on stage someday in the (near ?) future.
7 - I can add some more blocks per preset to my Axe-FX III thanks to the addition of the FM3.
8 - Many more to discover ???

I have both an Axe-FX III and FM3 but have not thought about combining them until now. It should be possible to:
  • Run one of the units in the effects loop of the other
  • Send S/PDIF from one unit to the other (then they would be in series) and hence avoid one D/A - A/D conversion.
I also have a Master Mind GT22 which could be programmed to send separate MIDI-messages to the units. I am not sure if the FM3 + e.g. FC-6/12 (using MIDI send) can control the Axe FX III but it most likely can.
Anyway, the sum of this can possibly an extremely powerful guitar rig..... might have to try this while patiently waiting for Cygnus to enter the podium....
Any thoughts/comments on this set-up are highly welcome!!

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Leon ("2112") and Ragdoll and it would be very nice to see a video demoing the potential power this combination.........:):):)
Or is it simply overkill to combine them??

Back
Top Bottom