FM3 Alternates - Serious Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkdefino

While it does appear that the FM3 is imminent... I am fast becoming concerned that while I signed up early for the wait list, it may be awhile before I get one. I need a method for recording my guitar for a personal project (very soon).

Requirements:
  • Must sound good (obviously)
  • Must not have noticeable latency.
  • I don't care if it's not gig-able. This is for recording only.
  • Would prefer a hardware modeler, but The AFX3 is way more than I can spend.
Notes:
  • Had an 11 rack and sold it.
  • Tried a Helix and returned it.
  • Own a UAD Apollo and find their sims tolerable but pricey and frustrating to work with.
  • Big on classic tones (no chug for me)
Considering:
  • IK Multimedia - AmpliTube MAX
  • Positive Grid - Bias Amp or FX2
  • Zoom - Something from the G Series (cheap and sounds about as good as Line 6)

If you didn't like Helix and the UA stuff, you probably won't be liking bias or zoom either as they're inferior imho.

Why not get a used axe II or AX8?

1) You can get an Axe-FX 2 XL or an AX8 for about $1200 used. This might be your best sounding option for the money.

2) Kemper Stage is also great at $1700, new, which may be too much for you.

3) Zoom is decent for the money but absolutely no comparison tone wise. Thin and brittle with no life to the sounds. I used G series pedals extensively in the past because that's what I could afford at the time.

4) Amplitube is OK - good value for the money. A bit lifeless and not portable at all. Presets kinda suck but most manufacturer presets suck.

5) I don't own Headrush but I played in the store and it's probably below Fractal and Kemper but above Helix and the others. Headrush gigboard at $600 is a good deal with an excellent interface,

I looked into the use Fractal stuff and it's just too expensive for me right now. I want to be able to buy the FM3 when my Golden Ticket is sent. :)

I think the Headrush stuff is based on the same tech as the 11Rack, so if you didn't like that you may want to do some research. I could be wrong on that.

I think the Headrush stuff is based on the same tech as the 11Rack, so if you didn't like that you may want to do some research. I could be wrong on that.
Yeah... that's why I would be hesitant about their stuff. To be fair it would probably work for my purposes... it's temporary until the FM3 arrives.

It is but it's updated and sound pretty decent. It's the best $600 value by far

I honesty can’t think of a single product that will have the capabilities and quality of the FM3 for the price point of $999.

One could argue that an Axe-FX II series would work. I’d say grab an HX Stomp or pony up a few hundred more for a used AX8. The only issue would be the value of the AX8 after the FM3 starts shipping, would you choose to unload it. I’m certain that the value will begin to drop rapidly.

With that said, the HX Stomp sounds great, is very capable when compared to the FM3, and has excellent resale value. If I were in your shoes, I’d go with a used AX8 or HX Stomp. If you weren’t happy with the Helix, maybe consider giving it another try. The HX Stomp is a very capable device which can produce some very impressive tones.

I honesty can’t think of a single product that will have the capabilities and quality of the FM3 for the price point of $999.

One could argue that an Axe-FX II series would work. I’d say grab an HX Stomp or pony up a few hundred more for a used AX8. The only issue would be the value of the AX8 after the FM3 starts shipping, would you choose to unload it. I’m certain that the value will begin to drop rapidly.

With that said, the HX Stomp sounds great, is very capable when compared to the FM3, and has excellent resale value. If I were in your shoes, I’d go with a used AX8 or HX Stomp. If you weren’t happy with the Helix, maybe consider giving it another try. The HX Stomp is a very capable device which can produce some very impressive tones.
ax8 doesn't have an audio interface though.

In terms of Line 6, I had every iteration of the POD that I used exclusively for recording and I actually loved them all. VERY VERY smooth distortion and sounded fantastic in direct recordings. Sucks live though because it gets lost in the mix. Maybe get a used POD 3. No seriously. Everything Line 6 has done after that really kinda sucks.

Helix Native? (the plug in version, much cheaper than the hardware)
Only if you already got the hardware, otherwise a license is about 400 bucks. It's only 99 if you own any of the hardware.

If it's just for one recording session, maybe you can borrow something from someone you know?

Or try the Neural DSP plugins, the Plini would probably fit best to your sound needs. There's a free trial, so no risk.

Atomic Ampli-Firebox looks like it would hit the spot. Never knew they had this option.

A similar and probably better option (in terms of raw tone) could be the strymon iridium if you don't need effects and could do with just 3 amp models.

I'm trying a friends Hotone Ampero for use at home(Axe3 for gigging) and it is very musical sounding and cheap($375 new/$300 used). If you don't need it's reverb(not up to others level), it could be a cheap alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom