FM3: Allocate more CPU to Virtual Capo?

Nowadays, I think it behaves pretty decent if you set it to "Smooth" & tracking set on "10". There is some latency depending on how loaded a preset is but, personally I think it's now in state where it works if you just want to jam with it.

That's my understanding, so I was sort of surprised when this thread popped up. @Ugly Bunny was previously posting quite a bit about it needing improvement and this is what he posted after FW 5.02:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-5-02-beta-1.182597/post-2246214

I haven't seen too many posts from him lately, but maybe he could weigh in.

I could be slightly skewed because for the first 25 years of playing the idea that I would be able to do what the FM3 can do with the VC was unimaginable. I was sort of lucky because I got on the Fractal train with the FM3 the very week Cygnus was introduced and then in quick succession the VC and other things were improved. That was about the time @Ugly Bunny was less than pleased, but he seemed like he was satisfied when things improved.

Also, I’m by no means a coding guy or expert, but I do understand DSP’s and what it takes to build a software platform based around sophisticated hardware. It’s a lot more than I would like to imagine.
Yeah, guys, I have no issue with the VC. It's probably my favorite thing about the FM3. I personally find it to be much better than the Helix stuff and I can still build a full preset around it, whereas it takes up half the DSP on my Stomp.

And more to the point, it is OBJECTIVELY as low-latency as the Axe Fx III's. It's still more or less unusable for cleans, but I can deal with that, since 95% of the songs I use it for are at least a little bit overdriven, where it sounds perfect.

Someone above mentioned it steals highs compared to the Drop? I can't speak to that, as I haven't A/B'd it against the Drop, but I have no issue with a nice bright guitar tone.

Yeah, no; it's great. Between this and my Variax, I can play any style and any tuning in my 90's band with between 150-200 songs IN THE RECORDED KEY.

Back
Top Bottom