FM3 5 Audio Engine Change .... very nice ...... try this if you can :)

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

I haven't redone my presets or reset them in any way - I just loaded 5B1 and the new AE.

I pulled up my reference 4.01 recording of my 4 presets .... then just recorded the same 4 5B1 presets next to it.

Good news .... there was a noticeable presence of [very good] extra low mids and low end but even better the extra low mids and low end was a lot naturally tighter ..... very ... very ... nice improvement .... no extra "wool" or "woof" .

I recommend others do the same test before and after updating so you too will hear the difference.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Nice....I've found that anytime you see things like this in the release notes:

• Improved Amp block cathode follower algorithm. Algorithm now uses higher order solution of nonlinear ODE for more accurate low frequency response.
  • Improved Amp block power amp algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models dynamic changes in speaker impedance resulting in more “complexity”.
...you can always expect great and wonderful things. Sometimes the changes are subtle, sometimes they're only revealed on certain amps/tones, but when the release notes mention the "cathode follower algorithm" and/or "power amp algorithm" I can't wait to dig into the new firmware.

The "cathode follower" has been getting a lot of special attention for years now, and it appears to be responsible for a lot of 'mojo'; I remember one of the CF tweaks in a certain release a while back made a huge difference in feel, dynamics, immediacy, and tightness that I found extremely satisfying. It provided a certain 'something' that I could never dial in.

So go, go, go cathode follower (and the power amp)...work your modeling magic...

Nice....I've found that anytime you see things like this in the release notes:

• Improved Amp block cathode follower algorithm. Algorithm now uses higher order solution of nonlinear ODE for more accurate low frequency response.
  • Improved Amp block power amp algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models dynamic changes in speaker impedance resulting in more “complexity”.
...you can always expect great and wonderful things. Sometimes the changes are subtle, sometimes they're only revealed on certain amps/tones, but when the release notes mention the "cathode follower algorithm" and/or "power amp algorithm" I can't wait to dig into the new firmware.

The "cathode follower" has been getting a lot of special attention for years now, and it appears to be responsible for a lot of 'mojo'; I remember one of the CF tweaks in a certain release a while back made a huge difference in feel, dynamics, immediacy, and tightness that I found extremely satisfying. It provided a certain 'something' that I could never dial in.

So go, go, go cathode follower (and the power amp)...work your modeling magic...

Yep :)

The [very good] extra low end energy which is very naturally tight was immedialty noticeable even before I did my own reference recording :)

All the best,
Ben

Hi all !

I haven't redone my presets or reset them in any way - I just loaded 5B1 and the new AE.

I pulled up my reference 4.01 recording of my 4 presets .... then just recorded the same 4 5B1 presets next to it.

Good news .... there was a noticeable presence of [very good] extra low mids and low end but even better the extra low mids and low end was a lot naturally tighter ..... very ... very ... nice improvement .... no extra "wool" or "woof" .

I recommend others do the same test before and after updating so you too will hear the difference.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Talk dirty to me some more. :)

So, my ears didn't fool me. Yesterday I played the Diezel VH4 on the previous firmware, did an update to 5B1 this morning, and damn did it sound great ( besides my own talent of course 😜). Fractal doesn't stop to amaze me everytime they implement improvements!

Hi all !

Hope this helps,
Ben
This is my observation as well. The low end is definitely tighter, but not in a low-sag way. 👍🏻

I updated one of my FM3s to 5.0 Beta, and am leaving the other in the previous firmware
so I can compare more easily. :)
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter. I definitely hear something, in the most positive of ways, but as I have nothing to compare it to it’s difficult to say for sure.

It does sound amazing, though.

Really noticing it today on the Corncob stock preset. It now nails what I think of as the “Victory amp” sound ( same designer ) and the low mids are where that magic seems to be happening. Previously this was always a model I liked but never felt like I could quite dial in just right. Now it’s just wow.

Back
Top Bottom