• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 3-button vs AX8 11-button, reflection after 6 months or so

jjdpro

Inspired
@Johan Allard I was the one that started the Go-Fund-Me thread since I had just purchased a mint AX8 (I never owned one before this one) and I was hoping to see the Ares firmware from my XL+ in the AX8 (but I am actually fine having the AX8 stay the same).

I found I really liked the AX8 and I was able to get some great sounds out of it especially when I would take a preset from my XL+ and convert it to the AX8 (it seemed to sound really close to the XL+ (and my friends said it sounded the same) even though the XL+ was on the Ares 2.0 firmware).

I did purchase an FM3 before XMAS time and I used it right away.

It does sound great and I have set up the 3 footswitches with several different configurations, however, I think it could be pretty challenging to people that are not very tech oriented (or patient) and they would probably consider the AX8 easier to use and less of a headache.

I did find I liked being able to add a 4 button footswitch to the FM3 and making it an FM7 or making the FC-6 become an FC-10 :)

Honestly, I plan to keep the AX8 and don't see a reason to sell it since it definitely has a different sound than the FM3/AX3 and I can see there are some advantages to keeping it even though I own the newest Fractal gear.

Additionally, one thing that I really like about the AX8 is the control knobs.

And yes, I know you can set up the FM3/AX3 to have control knobs (actually, you can have more controls set up on the FM3/AX3) but I believe part of the love for the AX8 knobs is due to them sitting on the top of the AX8 for easy access.

The AX8 is a super cool device and should stay in my Fractal collection for a very long time regardless of any new Fractal product coming out :)
I love my AX8.. It's not going anywhere .. I found that by adding some key pieces of ( Friedman bd deluxe, freethetone verb and tri -chorus) I'm a very happy player.

I'm sure when or if another full-based floor unit comes along, I'll get it. But, until then, I'll stick with my AX8

Top Bottom