FM Speculation thread!

Sixstring

Legend!
Speculation is always fun! This thread is in response to a question that came up in another thread I has stated which has changed the topic Sooo.

I have participated many of the threads over the years. One thing is a constant, just when you think you have made sense of it FAS always seems to throw a curveball.

@DLC86 had mentioned that Cliff had hinted at future products using Ares! So running Ares algos... ok, maybe an FM3 MkII or a smaller version of a floor unit? which might just be compatible with an FC unit! or a slimmed down Axe Fx rack unit? some did complain about it being a 3 space? or maybe a plugin... I know Cliff has said he didn't want to get into that but maybe things have changed?

Modularity, if that's even a word seems to be the new norm for FAS and it makes sense! scaling up or down and having the ability to use the current OS on different platforms of hardwear is a good business model ie: multiple income streams within the same business!

Building a larger floor board! I say the odds of that happening are slim but let's say your right. FAS makes a larger floor unit lets say an FM8. Most likely they will retire the FM3 and maybe the FC6 as it does make a nice expansion unit for the FM3. It does fit the expandable theme of the FM3 quite well! Other reasons? why keep it when you have made a larger board to fill that gap, Overhead goes up costs increase versus sales. For a small company doesn't add up.

More reasons! price becomes an issue for some that were clamoring for a less expensive smaller unit for fly gigs which seem to be on the rise at least until recently.

That's all I have at the moment! I'm sure others will chime in and encourage it in a good way! again it's Speculation I know how things can get too serious around here. So come on in and lets drive up your post count and have some fun posting about what could or might be.

Building a larger floor board! I say the odds of that happening are slim but let's say your right. FAS makes a larger floor unit lets say an FM8.
Unless it has more processing power, this makes little sense as an FM3+FC-6 already gives you this plus 1 switch.
Most likely they will retire the FM3 and maybe the FC6 as it does make a nice expansion unit for the FM3. It does fit the expandable theme of the FM3 quite well! Other reasons? why keep it when you have made a larger board to fill that gap, Overhead goes up costs increase versus sales. For a small company doesn't add up.
Why? The FM3 form factor is what many people want... And it's selling like crazy, and is an affordable "gateway" Fractal device - a win for both the consumer and Fractal.

And you seem to forget that the FC-6 was first introduced for use with the Axe Fx III and it's quite popular with those users.

Modularity, if that's even a word
It is... ;)

As far as speculation goes I've got none at the moment :)

All those things might make sense but I don't agree with the part where you say that a larger floorboard would make the fm3 pretty much useless.
The fm3 would remain the smaller and more portable solution for those that don't need more processing power or a lot of switches (but still expandable with an FC when needed).
The axe fx would still be the flagship unit for serious studio or live applications.
The theoretical FM6/8 would just be the middle ground between those two both in terms of size and cpu power.

Just look at how many current axe fx users are saying they'd buy a more powerful floor unit in a heartbeat (me included)

maybe an FM3 MkII or a smaller version of a floor unit? which might just be compatible with an FC unit! or a slimmed down Axe Fx rack unit? some did complain about it being a 3 space? or maybe a plugin... I know Cliff has said he didn't want to get into that but maybe things have changed?
As I said it could be one (or more) of those things but what's more likely to happen?
A slimmed down rack unit wouldn't make much sense imho since there's already a rack unit.
A smaller version (if you mean something like the ampli-firebox) would be cool but given the processing power required by fractal modeling I doubt it's currently possible to fit a powerful enough dsp in a box of that size.
A plugin would be cool too but I doubt Cliff has changed his mind, but we can hope.
IMHO the most plausible option still remains the larger floor unit.

One product not Ares that I would love to see from them would be a compact FRFR to rival the Atomic
maybe even design collaboration( not w atomic)

smaller and less weight than Atomic
20 - 25 pds and able to rival the high end monitor

This would also be a win for the other modelling guys Helix Boss etc as they could use one

and i think you will be right the timelines have likely moved because
of the delays on FM3 but i expect you will see it later in the year
I was trying to find the thread... But I can't seem to locate it. I know there were threads lost during the great FM-3 sub-forum purge that happened a while back.

Unless it has more processing power, this makes little sense as an FM3+FC-6 already gives you this plus 1 switch.

Why? The FM3 form factor is what many people want... And it's selling like crazy, and is an affordable "gateway" Fractal device - a win for both the consumer and Fractal.

And you seem to forget that the FC-6 was first introduced for use with the Axe Fx III and it's quite popular with those users.

It is... ;)

As far as speculation goes I've got none at the moment :)

And that all make sense but like I posted FAS always seems to throw us a curveball! I'm not stating anything as fact in this thread by a long shot! I didn't forget that the FC-6 was produced before the FM3 but are you sure it wasn't a premeditated move on FAS's part? launching the Axe FXIII using Ares then applying it to a smaller unit knowing it would be a modular deal.

are you sure it wasn't a premeditated move on FAS's part? launching the Axe FXIII using Ares then applying it to a smaller unit knowing it would be a modular deal.
I'm sure it WAS - but what does that have to do with getting rid of the FC-6?

Just because a bigger and/or more powerful for unit gets released doesn't eliminate the usefulness of Axe Fx III + FC-6.

I'm sure it WAS - but what does that have to do with getting rid of the FC-6?
It's just a speculation! meaning FAS has to be calculated in what products they keep and what they don't based on what sales! and I did say maybe not that they would ;).

I dream about the unicorn, holy grail. All in one floor unit with more switches and expression pedal so I don’t have to have a pedalboard, patch cables and extra pedals hauling around. All in one unit. And if it had the power of the axe fXIII or close? Sign me up. I’m paying 3k$ in a heart bit. Or more

With the release of the OMG9 layouts, the stars could be aligning for an FM9 with all the power of the III. But is it enough of a difference than an FM3+FC6?

With the release of the OMG9 layouts, the stars could be aligning for an FM9 with all the power of the III. But is it enough of a difference than an FM3+FC6?
I doubt that OMG9 has any relationship to some theoretical FM9, FM12, whatever. OMG combines multiple layouts... one on the FM3 and one on the FC. A bigger floor unit would only need to use one layout.

I would have preferred the FM3 version with the AX8 footprint actually..... with builtin expression pedal. But if I am forced to go FM3+ FC6.... what can ya do eh.

silly thing is, if i was told wait for the 'fm9 or fm10", its on its way by fractal. I would let someone who wanted an fm3 have my place in the queue. But I definitly want to play with Ares so i will buy an fm3.

I would have preferred the FM3 version with the AX8 footprint actually..... with builtin expression pedal. But if I am forced to go FM3+ FC6.... what can ya do eh.

At first I was in the same boat but now that I have had time to really think about it I like the expandability of the FM format. I don't gig out like I used to but I still have a occasional one. Not having to bring a full board is a nice problem to have. I'm going to add the FC-6 to my board but build things so I can separate it from the larger footprint.

I'd still like to see something like this. I know, lots of people say it's a bad idea to have built in pedals, but wasn't the Vox Tonelab SE one of the most-liked floor processors ever? Was it plagued with pedal issues? I don't remember. Anyways, still love the idea!

FM-39.jpg

Back
Top Bottom