Fm-9 with a built in Wah/Vol Pedal? any thoughts?

That would be exceptionally wide.

I worked in music retail. We had several units of floorboards with built in pedals brought in constantly when they broke because they carry the unit by holding the pedal.

I don’t see this happening.

I would not expect it. Fractal Audio has embraced the modular ethos. If you need more switches you can add an FC. If you need an expression pedal or four you can add them. If you want an all-in-one you can attach everything to a board.

Wondering if this is coming in a future build? FM-9 Turbo with one or two built-in pedals?
Define "future".

The obligatory FAS statement follows…
"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation." [3]

Most people prefer to choose the expression pedal(s) that work best for them.

Most people have a preference for placement of the expression pedal(s) (left side, right side, straight, angled).

Built-in expression pedal breaks, the whole unit would need to be sent for repair.

I don't think you'll ever see this, and I personally would not want it.

I'm being serious when I say the Helix is right around the virtual corner if this makes a big difference for you. But I also feel there is a good reason none of the other competitors in the professional floorboard category have gone with this design.

I’ve never been a fan of boards like that. I’ve never seen one that looks or feels like it’s constructed to really take a beating, though I’ve never played a Helix, to be fair.

BS alert from this point on...

An FM9 with a built-in pedal? Due to the "modularity" of the hardware lineup... I doubt it. But... what about some new products?

Using the FC12/FM9 chassis, and EV2 pedals... how about...

FM5... which includes two pedals at far right... in addition to the two extra stomps the name implies over the FM3.

FM7... just the one EV2 at far right... but the four extra stomps over FM3 (two less than FM9)

Further... given the extra chassis size (and less screens required)... perhaps a processor option may be possible in either model? FM3 level... or hit the FM9 Turbo level... for the obvious price bump.

Anyway... that's my "shit-disturber" thought for the day.

Be well

*edit- If I were to trust ANY company to build a pedal into a unit... it would be FAS.

I also base that off only having used EV1's. But come on... it's Cliff, man!

Last edited:
wow, I just checked back. I have owned the Line 6 Pod go but hated it. And the Amplifire. I get the interchangeable parts logic. Maybe and idea would be to use what KFF said. More like adding a pedal or two to the FC-6 with a larger display.. just a thought

That would be exceptionally wide.

I worked in music retail. We had several units of floorboards with built in pedals brought in constantly when they broke because they carry the unit by holding the pedal.

I don’t see this happening.
I did exactly this with my ART x15 (I think it was the x15, anyway)

Wondering if this is coming in a future build? FM-9 Turbo with one or two built-in pedals?
IIRC Cliff said back in the AX8 days he wasn't a fan of in-built expression pedals as some folks don't need them and the issues with extra space and what happens when there's faults
So I'd be very very surprised if one ever gets produced

One of the factors for me with both of the units that I own is the fact that they DO NOT have an expression pedal built in. I don't want it to be part of the unit. That way I can plug one into it when I want to use it and I don't have to have it there if I am playing in a situation where I don't need it there. It also ensures that I don't end up with a unit that works except the expression pedal, that I can't remove from the unit, if it has issues. I get to choose what expression pedal I use and whether to use it or not.

I've never met a built in expression pedal that I liked.
+1

Stand alone pedals can be adjusted for size, left or right side preference, and are easy to replace when they stop working… and they will. No need for a built in for this player.

Back
Top Bottom