Bug? Fm 3 crushed USB port

Ghettoboy_gtr

Hi guys. yesterday fm 3 edit and fractal bot stopped connecting to my fractal. I don't know if it's a mechanical breakdown or a beta firmware bug. I use Mac book pro. share your thoughts, I will be glad of any information.

Hi guys. yesterday fm 3 edit and fractal bot stopped connecting to my fractal. I don't know if it's a mechanical breakdown or a beta firmware bug. I use Mac book pro. share your thoughts, I will be glad of any information.
The first thing Support will say to check is the USB cable; Make sure it's good quality and not too long; My FM3 sits behind me on the floor at the end of a 10' USB and it connects reliably.

Next they'll want to know whether there's a non-powered USB hub because those can be trouble. Hubs can cause all sorts of weird problems so I only connect my FM3 and FX3 to the ports on the back of my Mac and all drives are off a good powered hub, and incidental chargers sit on a third powered hub that's connected to the computer, but doesn't need to be because those devices only want power, not signals.

Power down the laptop, disconnect all other USB devices except the FM3, then power up the laptop again. If Edit can see the FM3 then there's probably a conflict with one of the other devices. USB should arbitrate that so I'd try plugging the others in one by one and see if they all continue to work. Sometimes you need to move the devices around to different ports.

Since Edit could see the FM3 before and then stopped you might need to reset the SMC chip. There are lots of directions how on the internet.

The first thing Support will say to check is the USB cable; Make sure it's good quality and not too long; My FM3 sits behind me on the floor at the end of a 10' USB and it connects reliably.

Next they'll want to know whether there's a non-powered USB hub because those can be trouble. Hubs can cause all sorts of weird problems so I only connect my FM3 and FX3 to the ports on the back of my Mac and all drives are off a good powered hub, and incidental chargers sit on a third powered hub that's connected to the computer, but doesn't need to be because those devices only want power, not signals.

Power down the laptop, disconnect all other USB devices except the FM3, then power up the laptop again. If Edit can see the FM3 then there's probably a conflict with one of the other devices. USB should arbitrate that so I'd try plugging the others in one by one and see if they all continue to work. Sometimes you need to move the devices around to different ports.

Since Edit could see the FM3 before and then stopped you might need to reset the SMC chip. There are lots of directions how on the internet.
I tried to enable it on different computers. the problem remains. I'm already starting to worry about mechanical damage to the usb chip or connector. hard reset didn't help either.

I like the helpful nature of the Fractal community but support is there for a reason- to help those having problems with their device. You are having a problem with your FM3 no longer connecting to a computer, that's reason enough to ask them for assistance. I've contacted them a few times for various issues and it was a much easier process than trying to figure things out myself.

If this was your initial attempt to setup the FM3, I could see having a discussion asking for potential solutions. That's not the case here; it was working, now it's not. I could post links to threads discussing USB port issues but that's not going to solve your problem. In the end, contacting support was necessary to resolve the issue.

I have a III and have the same problem. Sent it to Fractal for repair. It’s been close to 3 weeks without my axe fx III. Looks like the usb port is the first one to fail in these products.

I have a III and have the same problem. Sent it to Fractal for repair. It’s been close to 3 weeks without my axe fx III. Looks like the usb port is the first one to fail in these products.
in my country there are no distributors, there are no fractal service centers. sending it to America is very long and expensive. rather, I am obliged to help myself.

in my country there are no distributors, there are no fractal service centers. sending it to America is very long and expensive. rather, I am obliged to help myself.
The same problem((((
Does the FM3 still connect to a DAW for either of you? Please also make sure you are not running Fractal-Bot at the same time as FM3-Edit.

You can also double check the port setting in FM3-Edit: Settings -> Preferences -> click the "Use Default Port" button.

Does the FM3 still connect to a DAW for either of you? Please also make sure you are not running Fractal-Bot at the same time as FM3-Edit.

You can also double check the port setting in FM3-Edit: Settings -> Preferences -> click the "Use Default Port" button.
Fm3 is also not visible in DAW! Fractal bot is not active when I enable fm3 edit. I tried everything. I changed three cables. Didn't solve the problem ((((

Hi Anton,

Our support team replied to you on Friday, June 18 and did not yet receive a reply. We're looking in to whether or not you received that email. Let's handle it via email or private messages.

Back
Top Bottom