Flying with the FM-9

Jayman1145

Can't seem to find a thread dealing with this. I am flying to a gig in a few weeks and need a good transportation option for the FM9. I figured helix backpack would probably work as a carry on, but was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this or any recommendations? Thanks!

I have traveled cross country with my FM9 & 2 EV-1s plus accessories in a Evergreen Seahorse 920. IMO, same quality & features as a Pelican at about half the price. It’s exactly the dimensions carry on limit for Southwest Airlines (24x16x10). Some carriers it may be too big to fit wheels first as they prefer, but no one has made me check it yet. However, if they did it’s pretty bulletproof so I wouldn’t be worried.

FYI, I added the mesh net organizer in the lid, so there's lots of room for everything. Also, I used plastic-dip spray to rubberize the pluck foam and keep it from deteriorating. One can of black, one red, with some left over.

Attachments

• 97362B2B-35C8-4870-9C44-7836933A3F09.jpeg
    97362B2B-35C8-4870-9C44-7836933A3F09.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I use a Pelican Air 1535 which is carry-on size for most overhead bins. It doesn't leave much room around the sides for padding though, but since I carry it myself I don't worry about it. I added some neoprene foam around the inside. If I were checking it I'd want something a little bigger.

You might see some other good ideas in the "FM9 Case?" thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-case.176183/

Studio Slips sells a bag for the FM9 with a large pocket and backpack straps. I just ordered one from Reverb after emailing the seller. The items on Reverb are precut and normally ship in two days--from order to arrival was about six days. The bags are excellent. Search "fm9 studio slips".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 6.11.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 6.11.03 PM.png
    504.7 KB · Views: 34
I have traveled a across country with my fm9 & 2 EV-1s plus accessories in a Seahorse 920. Imo, same quality & features as a pelican at less than half the price. It’s exactly the dimensions carry on limit for Southwest Airlines (24x16x10). Some carriers it may be to big to fit wheels first as they prefer but no one has made me check it yet. But if they did, it’s pretty bulletproof so I wouldn’t be worried.

I added the mesh net organizer in the lid lots of room for everything. Also, I used plastic-dip spray to rubberize the pluck foam and keep it from deteriorating. One can of black, one red, with some left over.
This looks like a great case! Nice customization job with the foam spray!

I use a Helix backpack routinely for my FM9 for gigging. It fits well and the FM9 seems like it's pretty well protected. I have never flown with it though. I will have to find something else at some point as I was planning on selling the Helix, so I'm looking at other options but the Helix bag works very well.

Studio Slips sells a bag for the FM9 with a large pocket and backpack straps. I just ordered one from Reverb after emailing the seller. The items on Reverb are precut and normally ship in two days--from order to arrival was about six days. The bags are excellent. Search "fm9 studio slips".
I ordered a custom one for my FM9 that is sitting on a Temple audio Duo 34. It is a nice bag and well made I wish I had added an extra pocket to the inside lid so I can slide a piece of thin plastic for that unexpected hit to the area where the screen and knobs are. I'm going to contact Studio Slips to see if they will add it on after the fact.

I ordered a custom one for my FM9 that is sitting on a Temple audio Duo 34. It is a nice bag and well made I wish I had added an extra pocket to the inside lid so I can slide a piece of thin plastic for that unexpected hit to the area where the screen and knobs are. I'm going to contact Studio Slips to see if they will add it on after the fact.
Out of curiosity, what did you change with a custom order from the Temple Duo 34 bag they sell? Just custom features or did it need to be a different size because of the bulk of the FM9?

Or simply cut down a thin, flexible, cutting board sheet to fit over the entire unit, and lay it on top of the FM9 then zip up the bag.

Out of curiosity, what did you change with a custom order from the Temple Duo 34 bag they sell? Just custom features or did it need to be a different size because of the bulk of the FM9?
I think they gave me the standard bag for the Temple Audio board / FM9, just to make sure I gave Kevin the dims of the board plus pic's just to make sure everything was going to fit right.

Or simply cut down a thin, flexible, cutting board sheet to fit over the entire unit, and lay it on top of the FM9 then zip up the bag.
Interesting idea! I opted to have Studio Slips mod the bag! I went with the inside pocket with the 5/8 padding plus leather strips on the bottom and back side of the bag. It seemed a little on the roomy side. I was expecting a tight gig bag type of fit

I think they gave me the standard bag for the Temple Audio board / FM9, just to make sure I gave Kevin the dims of the board plus pic's just to make sure everything was going to fit right.

Interesting idea! I opted to have Studio Slips mod the bag! I went with the inside pocket with the 5/8 padding plus leather strips on the bottom and back side of the bag. It seemed a little on the roomy side. I was expecting a tight gig bag type of fit
The bags I have fit snugly, which is desirable so they don’t shift around.

When I spec’d out their FM3+FC6 bag, my original has slots on the top and bottom for the same purpose.

The bags I have fit snugly, which is desirable so they don’t shift around.

When I spec’d out their FM3+FC6 bag, my original has slots on the top and bottom for the same purpose.
I think they may have added a little more room then as my FM slips around in the bag, hopefully adding the extra pocket padding will help fill the gap. Thanks for the cutting board plastic idea! I was wondering what would make a good add for that.

Custom ATA style case that fits my 1' x 2' pedalboard. I check it when i fly.

Not much help, i know! :-(

Back
Top Bottom