Flying to a gig on a cruise

dB

Inspired
Any of you guys ever play on a cruise ship?

My band will be playing on a cruise in a few weeks. I've never been on a cruise and have no idea what to expect. I'll be using my backup rig consisting of a Tech 21 Flyrig 5 RK and a couple of pedals that will get plugged into the ship-provided Fender Twin. We fly out of Kansas City to Florida and I plan on using my beater ESP Tele and taking the neck off so I can pack it in my carry-on bag (I think we've all heard the horror stories of checked guitars and baggage handlers). Is this OK to do, or should I snag a Steinberger Spirit that will fit into the planes overhead compartment? Or would I be better off putting the disassembled guitar in my checked luggage?

Any advice on cruises in general and playing on ship would be greatly appreciated!

A lot of times you can get the guitar put in the coat rack in the cabin - I do this often with my basses (which are substantially bigger than guitar ;)).

I worked for a cruise company briefly as a contractor, but never as a musician. A friend of mine is on first call as a bassist for cruises - his band does two or three every year.

Do you know if I need to make arrangements in advance stow a guitar in the coat rack?

So, when I'm doing check in I mention it, which often gets me bumped up to preferred boarding (early boarding) if that is available, and a note sent to the gate crew. Then, as I board I very kindly ask to allow me to put it in the coat rack (usually just inside the hatch). On larger planes, getting the bass in the overhead is possible, but not on smaller ones. So far, never had an issue, especially since the FAA has issued their ruling on the matter.

Edit: Do you know what plane you'll be on?

Reactions: dB
Do you know if I need to make arrangements in advance stow a guitar in the coat rack?
It can be easier to sweet talk the flight attendant if your gig bag has a hook to hang it. Some places have policies requiring things in the coat rack to be hanging.

Reactions: dB
So, when I'm doing check in I mention it, which often gets me bumped up to preferred boarding (early boarding) if that is available, and a note sent to the gate crew. Then, as I board I very kindly ask to allow me to put it in the coat rack (usually just inside the hatch). On larger planes, getting the bass in the overhead is possible, but not on smaller ones. So far, never had an issue, especially since the FAA has issued their ruling on the matter.

Edit: Do you know what plane you'll be on?

Southwest airlines.

It's been a while since I flew with my guitar , but I agree with what selta said. They were kind enough to put it in the compartment in front when I boarded the plane.
The soft case ( gig bag ) is probably not a bad idea either.

I had a gig in Atlantic City a few years ago. The flight there from St. Louis was quite full, so the guitar was checked, maybe gate checked, can't recall. The guitar was a Tele in a Fender molded, SKB style case. It arrived safely. On the flight home was not very crowded, so they let us carry on the guitars. My case and the acoustic guitar player's case fit in the over head compartment. If I fly to a gig, I usually call ahead and talk to someone about their policies. Ask about gate checking your instrument. You carry it with you to the gate, and when you board, it gets ticketed and placed below . At least you miss some of the potential damage.

Back
Top Bottom