Flying international with 2 bass guitars - any recomendations?

wknight2

Inspired
First time flying with 2 bass guitars, and flying international.
Do the airlines have a limit on liability? If one or both basses get damaged in transit (they are vintage), up to what amount do they cover?
How do you folks who fly travel with your basses/guitars? Do you put them in a guitar box as if you were shipping them via Fed Ex? Do you put them in a $300 ATA case? A Mono or Reunion Blues heavy duty gig bag?
Once I arrive, what's the easiest way to lug around through customs my luggage and the guitars?
Thanks in advance,
Ed

1 - Yes there is a limit to liability. If you want proper protection buy travel insurance.
2 - Um, you're travelling with vintage instruments so I expect you'd have proper ATA flight cases. It's insane otherwise - seriously. If you don't have a proper case, the liability of the airlines is reduced. You won't be allowed to carry either of them into the cabin either, so they will go into the hands of the "throwers".
3 - It varies from country to country, but most customs areas provide trolleys/carts at no cost.

Buy an extra ticket and use a twin gig bag or use a flight case certified by the airline.

I have flown international numerous times with multiple guitars, sometimes as many as four. I have found that the SKB ATA hard cases offer great protection and are affordable. One consideration is how many checked-luggage you are entitled to, else you pay (high) fees for additional bags over your limit. To minimize this, sometimes I put 2-guitars in my Mono double-case; the case itself although 'soft', offers very good protection. When combined with two guitars, I find that the two help to provide stability and I have not had any problem.....there's some risk given it's a 'soft' case, so I try to avoid placing my best guitars in there. I normally bring my favorite/most expensive as carry-on, but be prepared if the airline forces you to check it.

Back
Top Bottom