Flying Colors - New album featuring Steve Morse

Morse is a god, no doubt about it. I must go and find my old Dixie Dregs albums while I'm at it.

I used to dig the Dix Dregs back in late 70's / early 80's. If Steve Morse is playing something new I'd like to check it out. Thanks for the pointer!

Sweet. Neil Morse and Portnoy have been playing together for years. And now they've hooked up with Steve Morse??!!

Ordering.CD.now.

I've had it for close to 2 weeks now, and it's probably what I've listened to most during that time. The opening track is pretty stellar... Heck, IMO, there isn't a clunker on the album, period. There's plenty of great playing without overplaying (again, IMO), and Casey was a pretty awesome choice for the vocals.

Pop Prog at it finest. Havent listened to anything else all week. Larue does his usual great bass playing. Its nice to hear slap bass besides in funk.

I gotta say, was underwhelmed by this. There's a lot of positives here, but overall just didn't get it for me.

PROS:
Great vocals and harmonies. Was surprised how vocal-centric it is.
Fantastic production.
Portnoy and LaRue do a great job.

DISAPPOINTMENTS:
Song writing was weak IMHO.
Steve Morse's playing was, I don't know, just didn't seem to fit the music. Don't hate, I'm a big S Morse fan.
Would've liked to hear some keyboard solos

Hey Adam, thanks for suggesting this, I can stop listening to this album.It reminds me of why I love music, there is a little something for everyone on this album. What I like is that you can tell these guys are holding back serving the song, not their egos. They are trying to get to a wider audience with their lyrical content and simplicity of melody, brilliant. We are living in a world of club music at the moment, so getting an album like this at a time like this is a breath of fresh air. Thanks again Adam.

I love the song "Kayla", especially the vocals on it. Such a catchy and great melody! Other than that i totally agree with BenLevy.

Back
Top Bottom