Fly Rigs

gdgross

Experienced
So my usual rig is a modified Xitone 2x10 active cab with a 2U slot built in for the axe. That makes three pieces of gear: "amp", pedalboard and gig bag w guitars. Great for local stuff, I can get in and out in one trip: amp and pedalboard in each hand and guitars on the back.

I've got a couple of gigs that I'll be flying to in a month and half and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Ideally, I'd like to simply put the axe-II in a rack, bring the pedalboard and guitars, and leave the Xitone at home. But that leaves me three things to carry, and I don't really want to check any of them. :-/

What do you guys do who fly a lot?

It would seem ideal to have a rollaway rack like an SKB. Perhaps something like 5 or 6 spaces. The Axe, a 1U power amp and something to secure your pedals or MFC in the bottom three empty spaces. You would probably have to check it in, but it would be very convenient to be able to roll one box and carry your guitar over your shoulder. Ultra portable would be The Axe in a two or three space soft case that you could carry on the plane and maybe something like a Midi Moose that runs on batteries. The midi mate would be another compact option for a foot board as it is small enough and it will allow you to assign the bottom buttons as patch changes and the top ones as CCs. I would guess you will have to check something in as the airlines may get funny with you carrying too much on board.

I've typically ask for the venue to provide a power conditioner for clean power and a k10 or k12 provided at the venue for personal monitoring.... use a 2 space rack for the axe, and pack the mfc inbetween my clothes in a small rolling luggage bag that i check....so i cram the 2space rack under the seat and put the guitar in the overhead...then check one luggage case with the mfc and cables (praying that they won't lose it)!!

Back
Top Bottom