Fluid legato phrasing, with no pick attack, ala Holdsworth..

soularflair

Inspired
...This is what I'm after.

I'll be ordering my own Ultra in about a weeks time, and am keen to get a solo lead tone ala Allan Holdsworth or Fredrik Thordendal, where the the pick attack transients are essentially filtered out.
I know both of them have used breath controllers to contribute to this effect, but I'm hoping the Axe-Fx can do it without one?

Does anyone has any experience with getting a tone like this?
Either posted patches or specific instructions most appreciated :)

soularflair

Well the secret to that sound is some PARAEQ. NOt that tricky to do...just need some cuts in the 5k and 10k range. Depending on your pick, guitar, amp settings, you can really hone in on the exact freq and can take away the pick attack even more. I just posted some holdsworth patches last week, and have the eq set in them (for my setup at least). I also found that either having a very low bass setting on the amp and/or cutting some lows below 100hz, can help even out the sound more.

In addition to para or graphic EQ, I like using a boost before the amp with a fair amount of mid emphasis and bass/treble roll off.

There's a fine line between how much preamp gain and power amp saturation to use, I'm still working that out. I'm testing now using a boost pedal, boost in the amp and keeping the pregain low with a fair amp of power amp.

Damp is pretty high without a ton of sag.

I use a compressor after the amp with a fairly slow attack to keep the dynamics in check.

The delay settings are pretty important, to me it's like a piano sustain pedal where the prior notes kinda float in the background. But not so much that it's a big gloppy mess.

Biggest issue for me is which cab and mic combo to use. I just did the RedWirez upgrade so there a few more choices to try! I know he favors the U87 in the studio, don't recall what he uses live but I can likely find out.

I'll post a patch when I get happy with it.

Robert

saw Allan last year.he seams to be consistently using 6 yamaha ud stomps and hughes&kettner amps(for pow. amp only)and 2 mesa 2x12 cabs.what his settings on the yamahas are,who knows?but that's where all of his sound is coming from.small venue,40 people tops at this place,was really up close,and Allan answered questions and joked around and what not.it was great!i think alot of what he does comes from his hands.soundwise anyway.effortless player! ;)

Fatang said:
In addition to para or graphic EQ, I like using a boost before the amp with a fair amount of mid emphasis and bass/treble roll off.

There's a fine line between how much preamp gain and power amp saturation to use, I'm still working that out. I'm testing now using a boost pedal, boost in the amp and keeping the pregain low with a fair amp of power amp.

Damp is pretty high without a ton of sag.

I use a compressor after the amp with a fairly slow attack to keep the dynamics in check.

The delay settings are pretty important, to me it's like a piano sustain pedal where the prior notes kinda float in the background. But not so much that it's a big gloppy mess.

Biggest issue for me is which cab and mic combo to use. I just did the RedWirez upgrade so there a few more choices to try! I know he favors the U87 in the studio, don't recall what he uses live but I can likely find out.

I'll post a patch when I get happy with it.

Robert

This is very good advice and similar to what I discovered. Also the PEQ tip above is very helpful (hadn't thought about nuking the 'chirp'...ha!).

I would love to see/hear what you have dialed in. I'll see if I can grab some snips as I try this in our gig this weekend.

BF3

We get it, his playing is important in sounding the way Allan/Fredrik does. :lol:

But, I will have to try some of this stuff out when my Ultra arrives, as I love these players. I always liked that Meshuggah has that huge rhythm sound, and the solos have a more liquid sound. Fusion-esque metal FTW.

Back
Top Bottom