Floyd Rose Discussion

Got the original Floyd Rose R3 nut (12" radius) in matte Chrome. I like the look, and it seemed to have fixed the uneven string height. With no shim, it's a bit lower than the Special nut (without actual measurement), and it feels like it's about the lowest I could go without 1st fret buzz, on all strings. That's a win in my book.

Didn't solve the tuning stability issue though. Good thing I have a Gotoh 1996 trem on the way...

1651872683261.png

Got the original Floyd Rose R3 nut (12" radius) in matte Chrome. I like the look, and it seemed to have fixed the uneven string height. With no shim, it's a bit lower than the Special nut (without actual measurement), and it feels like it's about the lowest I could go without 1st fret buzz, on all strings. That's a win in my book.

Didn't solve the tuning stability issue though. Good thing I have a Gotoh 1996 trem on the way...

View attachment 101418
Looks good. Make sure there is absolutely no movement in the base of the nut when you deck the bar completely.

A nice bonus for stability will be the locking posts for the 1996.

My inclination actually was to try and keep the original bushings if the posts are M8 like in the Gotoh. Difficult to find info on the Special what exactly it is. Do you think I would need to replace the bushings too to get to the best stability?

This is from the Gotoh spec:
1651938065533.png

My inclination actually was to try and keep the original bushings if the posts are M8 like in the Gotoh. Difficult to find info on the Special what exactly it is. Do you think I would need to replace the bushings too to get to the best stability?

View attachment 101458
I don't know much about the Special but I'm betting Andy will know as far as size.

As long as the posts fit, I don't think you'd need to replace the bushings.

Have you checked to see if there are locking screws in the existing posts? Probably not, but worth checking.

View attachment 101458
The bushings are a completely different size. Don't use them unless you have a tech fit them for you . The Gotoh will work perfectly on the existing studs if you have it set up right.

I don't know much about the Special but I'm betting Andy will know as far as size.

As long as the posts fit, I don't think you'd need to replace the bushings.

Have you checked to see if there are locking screws in the existing posts? Probably not, but worth checking.

I haven't checked yet but will report back once I got the Gotoh and started the upgrade!

OP,

My question is related to a single-locking Floyd trem. There are several examples of these online, when you research them. The most notable example I'm watching, soon to be available to the general public, is the Charvel Guthrie Govan HSH model. This sports the single-locking Floyd.

What is the consensus of these kinds of Floyds? Embrace the adventure? Avoid like the plague? Difficult to keep in tune? Easy to use?

OP,

My question is related to a single-locking Floyd trem. There are several examples of these online, when you research them. The most notable example I'm watching, soon to be available to the general public, is the Charvel Guthrie Govan HSH model. This sports the single-locking Floyd.

What is the consensus of these kinds of Floyds? Embrace the adventure? Avoid like the plague? Difficult to keep in tune? Easy to use?
Sorry, I have no experience with those. Probably still have to maintain the nut well to avoid friction there.

Sorry, I have no experience with those. Probably still have to maintain the nut well to avoid friction there.
Thx for your reply. I'd need to research the type of nut the GG HSH utilizes. IIRC, it's a GraphTech TUSQ, but don't quote me on that. I'll review my current information then get back to you.

EDIT: Yup. It's a Graphtech TUSQ XL nut. Well-maintained, pre-lubed at factory/retailer set-up.

OP,

Note that it's actually NOT a Floyd Rose... It's a Charvel bridge. It does look like an non-fine-tuner FR, though.

My guess is that they will be a little more stable than something like the Gotoh 510 since the strings lock at the saddle.

Note that it's actually NOT a Floyd Rose... It's a Charvel bridge. It does look like an non-fine-tuner FR, though.

My guess is that they will be a little more stable than something like the Gotoh 510 since the strings lock at the saddle.
Thank you for that. Technically, the Charvel GG HSH specs say "Recessed Charvel Locking Tremolo."

From the Sweetwater website: "Designed to work in conjunction with this electric guitar’s Gotoh die-cast locking tuners and Graph Tech TUSQ XL nut, this single-locking trem provides tuning stability that rivals double-locking designs. This tremolo includes a convenient pop-in arm and a sustain-enhancing brass block."

So perhaps this does not qualify for a Floyd Rose post, just one that imitates the design in part.

What might be your take on this style bridge, or would it be best if this were a separate post, so as not to detract from the discussion?

Yeah, this will take a little longer. The Gotoh posts have regular M8 thread (left), while the Special has a fine thread (right).

1651975701131.png

I do see significant pitting at the knife edge (FR Special as installed on the MIM Player Strat). Probably the smoking gun for the tuning stability issue.

Guitar is barely 2 months old (MF), not much played yet, and I did not adjust height at the trem yet, and I also know to never twist the posts while strings and springs are pulling.

1651976166208.png

1651976199648.png

What might be your take on this style bridge, or would it be best if this were a separate post, so as not to detract from the discussion?
I haven't tried one. I prefer double locking but the Gotoh 510 seems to work well, especially with Wilkinson locking saddles installed.

So I think the Charvel (or non-fine-tuner Floyd) would be a good choice.

Doesn't that assume the bottom is "open"?

Many are not...
Correct. The Gotoh's bushings are actually not open. But I think the Special one's are!

I didn't see a locking mechanism on the posts/bushings of the Special. The posts are definitely wiggly in the bushings.

The Gotoh does have a smaller screw accessible from the top of the post. My assumption is once you adjusted the height to your liking you tighten that little screw to stop the wiggling.

1652021385277.png

I'll probably go with Andy's recommendation and for now just use the Special's posts and see how that works out.

The Gotoh does have a smaller screw accessible from the top of the post. My assumption is once you adjusted the height to your liking you tighten that little screw to stop the wiggling.
Yes, exactly.

Just don't forget it's there in case you need to lower it :)

Back
Top Bottom