Floyd Rose Discussion

Quick question regarding Floyds or Ibanez Edge trems.

Why not many people use the ball end of the string at the tuners instead of cutting the ball end of the string?. It will work more like locking tuners you basically are locking the string with the ball end, and probably you won't need wraps around the posts...

I only have an Ibanez RG752 with a Lo-Pro Edge bridge, it is a fairly new guitar and because it is a 7th string don't use it much. Now the time to change strings is coming so I was wondering about this approach.

It seems at least to reduce the time needed to change strings...

Thomas Nordeg (S. Vai's tech) recommended this approach on some videos that I watched.

Of course just my personal opinion, but it looks yucky to me. ;)

I started using the PRS way on all non-locking tuners. Works great for not having many wraps, even on the high E.

It's a dumb idea and makes getting the strings off far harder.
Maybe I didn't write it properly, I was referring to use the ball end of the string at the tuners not at the bridge. Why would make removing the string harder? You still need to cut the length of the string properly but basically no need for wraps around the tuning peg.

Maybe I didn't write it properly, I was referring to use the ball end of the string at the tuners not at the bridge. Why would make removing the string harder? You still need to cut the length of the string properly but basically no need for wraps around the tuning peg.
No I hear you, the wrap on the thicker strings often gets stuck in the hole. It also doesn't bed down around the peg properly, then over time when it finally does you end up with a sharp bend next to the peg and the ball end stopping you get the string off easily. It is a spectacularly dumb idea that has no upsides.

I tried putting my ball ends through the tuning machine pegs for a short time, but trying to remove them at the end was enough to convince me to stop. Hell, I also like the look of a few wraps around the post; when done well, it not only helps tuning stability but looks professional and nice.

Question for @Andy Eagle and other knowledgeable folk on saddle block inserts.

I just had the B string pop out at the bridge after some bending (this is again with my MIM Fender Player FR). I looked at the saddle block insert and it had quite a groove from the string (I guess). I filed it flat on that surface and put it back in with the string (before I do a complete re-string later on when I have time). Is that a bad idea, the filing flat? Is there a better quality saddle insert that might prevent this problem from happening again?

Generic picture (not mine):
1668530069823.png

Question for @Andy Eagle and other knowledgeable folk on saddle block inserts.

I just had the B string pop out at the bridge after some bending (this is again with my MIM Fender Player FR). I looked at the saddle block insert and it had quite a groove from the string (I guess). I filed it flat on that surface and put it back in with the string (before I do a complete re-string later on when I have time). Is that a bad idea, the filing flat? Is there a better quality saddle insert that might prevent this problem from happening again?

Generic picture (not mine):
View attachment 111208
Yes just buy the German ones, or Gotoh. The groves only matter if it can't hold a string ( high E, B sometimes ).

Back
Top Bottom