Florence is a Machine.

9A5029FD-A805-41BE-8EA8-8B10D0301678.jpeg This storm sucks...not the least because I have to be constantly reminded of my late and lamented pup of the same name....be safe out there........

I second that. When I was working, my employer sent me to the Louisiana coast after Katrina. It looked like a nuclear bomb had been set off. Unbelievable destruction. Thoughts and prayers to all who may be affected by Flo.

Sorry for your loss Brad. I had to put down 2 dogs and still mourn the loss. We now have a bird (obviously). Her life expectancy is about 60 years. I seriously doubt that I have 60 years left in me.

I am now a groan man. I groan if I sit too long and try to stand. i groan if I stand too long and try to sit. I groan when I get out of bed in the morning. Yep. I am finally a groan man.

Appreciate the thoughts! We are loaded up, prepped as best we can. Storm track shows it taking a turn south after it hits Wilmington, NC, and if that holds my area (Raleigh) will not get the worst of it. 'Course, 1 day before landfall they said Fran was going north of us back in Sept '96, and we saw the eye of that storm and had no power for 2 weeks after. So, guess we will see...

I’ve been busy preparing for the worst. Had to help my mom last night as she is unable to drive or walk far - she just had major foot surgery. I had to get some skylight leaks repaired, a couple dead trees taken down, etc.

My main concern right now is that my neighbor across the street has one of those huge construction dumpsters in her driveway with tons of random shit including furniture, clothes, trash, dog kennels, and other random household crap. There’s no cover on it. I asked what she planned on doing about it and she said she hadn’t even thought about it. At that point it was still supposed to hit us as a category 4 storm. Smh. Now they’re saying we’ll “only” see 60-80 mph winds. I predict her shit is going to be strewn about the neighborhood. Awesome.

Best of luck to you all. That dumpster sounds like a problem. We just got lucky with two storms in Honolulu. The one last month had me very concerned. This one looks like no joke.

Good luck with the storm. Having lived through a few of these in NJ, I have much respect for the devastation they cause.

I remember pumping 5,000 gallons of water out of my basement during one storm, emptying my wet/dry vac into a sink 10 gallons at a time. I kept tally on one of my walls just so that I would be accurate in the count. That was a 24 hour period I will never forget.

I’ve been busy preparing for the worst. Had to help my mom last night as she is unable to drive or walk far - she just had major foot surgery. I had to get some skylight leaks repaired, a couple dead trees taken down, etc.

My main concern right now is that my neighbor across the street has one of those huge construction dumpsters in her driveway with tons of random shit including furniture, clothes, trash, dog kennels, and other random household crap. There’s no cover on it. I asked what she planned on doing about it and she said she hadn’t even thought about it. At that point it was still supposed to hit us as a category 4 storm. Smh. Now they’re saying we’ll “only” see 60-80 mph winds. I predict her shit is going to be strewn about the neighborhood. Awesome.

Yeah I've got a pair of similar dumpsters next door from house construction (Neighborhood still has some houses being built) along with a pile of 2x4 stacked up against the half-built house next to mine. Hoping for the best...not sure if they emptied the dumpsters in time or not. Luckily I'm out in Wendell so it hasn't really been bad so far.

Appreciate the thoughts! We are loaded up, prepped as best we can. Storm track shows it taking a turn south after it hits Wilmington, NC, and if that holds my area (Raleigh) will not get the worst of it. 'Course, 1 day before landfall they said Fran was going north of us back in Sept '96, and we saw the eye of that storm and had no power for 2 weeks after. So, guess we will see...

Never can tell with these storms, there are just so many factors that affect the way they move, and so many factors that affect those factors & so on. Its also one of those things that you almost hate to say..."hopefully it does stay on course now and veer off of us...[because I'd rather it hit them than me]"

Also just want to mention, you guys in this neck of the woods, make sure you're keeping an eye on the tornado warnings/watches along with the flooding. Its just me & my 2 year old at home today, so I've got the downstairs bathroom stocked with some blankets and pillows along with boots and a go bag. Pretty sure its a bit over the top, but I'd rather feel like a 'crazy prepper' than fuck around and put my boy in harms way.

Without accusing...I'm a bit tired of the folks who stay there, and have to be rescued by those who stay behind to help. Endangering those folks who are there to save those unexpected individuals that might be around. I'm not sure I've seen a stronger response from authorities to GET THE HELL OUT in plenty of time, yet there are people who 'don't believe' or 'I've done this before', yet have to be rescued off of roofs or more intricate areas.

I get it...if you don't have the means to leave, you can't. But there are so many who are convinced they are invulnerable to this kind of disaster that I'm...well, you get my gist.

Hoping for the best out there still.
-R

Back
Top Bottom