Fletcher Munson with Recorded Guitar Tracks

H3O2

Experienced
Not to belabor Fletcher Munson, but could this explain why 'recorded' guitar tracks from the AxeFx played in my car, sound way off from what I'm playing and listening to in my studio at much lower levels. I hope I'm making sense? Or am I confused in my understanding.

Thanks.

yeah, unless you are listening on the exact same speakers in the exact same environment, there will always be differences.

I said this in another post but I will mention again here. the Fletcher-Munson Effect is a psycho-acoustic phenomena. It only has to do with how human perceive changes in volume. So if the recording is played back at the same volume, then what is different isn't really directly attributable the Fletcher-Munson effect but other factors (different speakers, different listening environment, different playback device, etc.).

Part of the so called "mastering"-stage is to make a mixed recording sound more similar on different playback devices. Homemade recordings usually aren't mastered due to many reasons: lack of equipment, knowledge, skills ... some people even don't know about mastering at all. To sum up, it is perfectly normal if your recording sounds completely different on other playback devices.

I was knocking off just guitar tracks into Reaper and burning to a CD to listen to ideas on the way to work. I have a TL which touts a 'premium audio system' while it is nice, it's still a car stereo. Sounds better(different) in my wife's Avalon! :( Go figure.

I was knocking off just guitar tracks into Reaper and burning to a CD to listen to ideas on the way to work. I have a TL which touts a 'premium audio system' while it is nice, it's still a car stereo. Sounds better(different) in my wife's Avalon! :( Go figure.

Back in the day, I used to always listen to a mix in my car (280 ZX) to see how it sounded in that confined environment. Many studios would play a mix on a boom box or Walkman (I'm really dating myself) to listen back in as many different environments as possible prior to professional mastering. I also would listen to a mix in a different room to see if anything stood out like a sore thumb or if the Vox wasn't loud enough or too loud.

Back
Top Bottom