• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Fletcher Munson Curve Question

jw3571

Inspired
Question for you Fletcher Munson experts. I've made a few posts about trying to dial in patches at lower volumes and most everyone has said it's probable the FM curve causing the muddiness. Most people suggest an eq that's like a smiley face. If you're doing a smiley face that would be backing off the miss and increasing the bass and treble. It seems like increasing the bass makes it even muddier. Do I have things backwards?

Also what is the difference between a PEQ and Multiband Comp. When I've tried both of these they seem to make things sound better, are they doing the same thing or are they different?

JJunkie

Power User
the louder things get, the bass and treble become more prominent, so if your tweaking at low volumes, a frownie face is more appropriate.

Always remember the rule of thumb - your sad because you cant play loud

Rex

Legend!
Question for you Fletcher Munson experts. I've made a few posts about trying to dial in patches at lower volumes and most everyone has said it's probable the FM curve causing the muddiness. Most people suggest an eq that's like a smiley face. If you're doing a smiley face that would be backing off the miss and increasing the bass and treble. It seems like increasing the bass makes it even muddier. Do I have things backwards?
Are you trying to make a loud preset sound good at low volume, or vie-versa?

Also what is the difference between a PEQ and Multiband Comp.
A PEQ is an equalizer: a fancy bass-middle-treble control. A multiband compressor is a compressor.

Last edited:

jw3571

Inspired
Frownie eq definitely makes more sense. I'm just trying to make a good sounding patch from scratch as well take some of the presets and make them sound better.

barhrecords

Axe-Master
I recommend creating your presets at gig volume or close to it.

Then don't worry about them when you play them softer. You will know they are okay for the show.

I do this and they aren't horrible softer. Very enjoyable and playable softer.

Rex

Legend!
I'm just trying to make a good sounding patch from scratch as well take some of the presets and make them sound better.
If you're just trying to make a good-sounding patch, don't worry about smiley or frowny. Just dial it until it sounds right.

The factory presets were dialed in loud. A smiley will give you back some bass and treble that goes away at lower volumes.

Top Bottom