Fletcher and Munson are dicks

Disconnector

Inspired
So . . . I recently broke out my MIJ Wolfgang Standard after about a year of not touching it. I've been in a bit of a strat kick lately so it wasn't getting any love. I dropped on an Eddie approved set of 9s tuned her down to Eb and started looking for Eddie tones from the first few albums. I had been listening to the isolated tracks from VH and VH2 on YouTube and I was just blown away by the feel and the sound. Ergo the Wolfie.

I never really found a Van Halen sound in the AF2 that blew me away. I had downloaded the mythical "Eddie Van Danzi" presets but I always found them thin and kinda useless - nothing like the totally ass kicking tones that Eddie gets. They sounded cool at first but eventually I gave up and started digging on my own.

You all know where this is going right?

A few days passed .... I had been playing CounterStrike and had my system (Mackie MR8mkiis fed from a UA interface) cranked up pretty dang loud. My studio is 16 feet underground in a detached dwelling so I can get stupid if I want - I have a HiWatt that I screw up Floyd tunes on occasionally that gets its legs stretched out a little when I'm in the mood for a pummeling. So yeah - the system was up pretty loud for studio monitors. I totally forgot that I had left it up.

I plugged in the Wolfie and when I booted up the AF2 it was on the Danzi setting where I had left it. I hit the first few chords to Panama and nearly soiled myself - it was the most authentic bad ass VH tone *ever*. I literally played for two hours and didn't touch a single knob. Holy crap. It's *amazing*!

I know that folks constantly tell others to test tones at gig volumes - but I don't gig so I never get a chance to really wail with 110dBs of Marshalls. But let me tell you - Fletcher-Munson will kick you square in the nuts sometimes if you're not paying attention.

Disconnector

fbd.jpg

Whoever designed the human auditory system and its less than linear frequency response is the person you should take the issue up with

F/M just illustrated the principle, which allows us to know how to work around these faults, which allows things like my audiometer to display patients hearing thresholds in a normalized linear audiogram, not to mention helping us guitarist know we've got to dial in patches differently for gig volume.

If anything I'd buy either, or both, of the gentleman a beer if I had the chance

I must be wrong but typically I would think the opposite would happen. When I dial something in at low volume typically I am adding more treble than I need , then when I crank I have to back off the treble or it is too thin/harsh. Its odd starting thin you got better louder?

Also note I think old Harvey and Wilden A. were both into the booze/grog/firewater/hooch/John Barleycorn pretty heavy.

Fletcher and Munson certainly cause their share of issues. That Murphy guy though... I'd love to catch him in a back alley.

Here's the kicker, though...

Why does the track sound great on YouTube at normal speaking volumes and the Axe FX Patch sound thin at normal volume? Why can't the patch at normal volume sound like great the YouTube clip?

Here's the kicker, though...

Why does the track sound great on YouTube at normal speaking volumes and the Axe FX Patch sound thin at normal volume? Why can't the patch at normal volume sound like great the YouTube clip?
That is indeed the great mystery of audio clips...:)

Back
Top Bottom