Fleetwood Mac "Dreams"

Man, Lindsey Buckingham should have kept that Les Paul custom around. I can understand what he was trying to achieve with those Rick Turner guitars to complement his fingerstyle work which was his calling card. But I also loved the electric parts he played during this era.

Man, Lindsey Buckingham should have kept that Les Paul custom around. I can understand what he was trying to achieve with those Rick Turner guitars to complement his fingerstyle work which was his calling card. But I also loved the electric parts he played during this era.
I thought I read where he received the Turner while recording Rumors, so I was was surprised to see him playing Dreams live on the LP

I believe he received his first Turner right around Tusk. I remember an interview back then where he seemed pretty determined to make the Turner his only touring guitar. To me, it always felt forced on the early material with that piezo quack blended with the low impedance pickup.

Lindsey used a rare pedal made by MORLEY for the volume swell; When you strike the strings, it dropped the volume instantly to zero, and then it swells in from there so it's done automatically without need to interact with the volume control.
Dunno. The swells aren’t uniform. There are different swells for different phrases. Are you sure it’s automatic? In videos, you can see him work the pedal.

Dunno. The swells aren’t uniform. There are different swells for different phrases. Are you sure it’s automatic? In videos, you can see him work the pedal.
Agree. Without detailed study, gut level, it sounds human sculpted, not electronic.

I read it on the internet so it must be true. Not sure about how he did it live - I think it was in reference to the studio recording.

I like the tone of your preset. Kudos for including a Rotary block. But I struggle to make the automatic swells work, even after dialing them in. The return to full volume as the note fades is what’s throwing me. I can get reasonable results by attaching the ADSR controller to a Level parameter, but I get the most authentic results with a plain old volume pedal.

In the recording, some of the fade-ins just walk right in. Others are more or less “squeezed out.” The volume pedal is the only thing I’ve found that gives me that kind of control.

Last edited:
I like the tone of your preset. Kudos for including a Rotary block. But I struggle to make the automatic swells work, even after dialing them in. The return to full volume as the note fades is what’s throwing me. I can get reasonable results by attaching the ADSR controller to a Level parameter, but I get he most authentic results with a plain old volume pedal.

Im the recording, some of the fade-ins just walk right in. Others are more or less “squeezed out.” The volume pedal is the only thing I’ve found that gives me that kind of control.

The envelope isn't triggered unless there's some silence between notes. It doesn't have to be long silence, but if you just let the notes ring out then it doesn't "reset" the trigger on the envelope. If you watch the knob on the volume block in FM9 edit you'll see how long it takes to return to '0'.

Last edited:
The envelope isn't triggered unless there's some silence between notes. It doesn't have to be long silence, but if you just let the notes ring out then it doesn't "reset" the trigger on the envelope. If you watch the knob on the volume block in FM9 edit you'll see how long it takes to return to '0'.
Understood. The Issue is when I let the notes ring out. There is a quick jump to wide-open, and the volume increases.

I played this song last night at rehearsal. It's always fun to play. As a guitar player, you must resist the urge to play much. If you listen to the isolated tracks, Lindsey lays out a lot. The keys are really soft during the verse as well. It's all about the bass and drum groove - and killer vocals of course.

As for the volume swells, I think using the swell (Slow Gear) settings of the volume works well enough as long as you play with the right dynamics. Lindsey used a volume pedal live.

Here’s a tip for anyone playing this song live. Add a crystal echoes affect to your preset and engage it on the songs line “now here I go again, I see the crystal visions”. It just fills the room with that cool sound and plays nicely off the lyric. You have to time the engagement. I found it kicks in perfectly when I engage it on the word “crystal.” People really take notice. First time I did it was at a gig and even the band had no idea what was coming. They all looked around like wtf was that? Especially since there was no keyboard player. Lol.

Here’s a tip for anyone playing this song live. Add a crystal echoes affect to your preset and engage it on the songs line “now here I go again, I see the crystal visions”. It just fills the room with that cool sound and plays nicely off the lyric. You have to time the engagement. I found it kicks in perfectly when I engage it on the word “crystal.” People really take notice. First time I did it was at a gig and even the band had no idea what was coming. They all looked around like wtf was that? Especially since there was no keyboard player. Lol.
Cool idea!

I played this song last night at rehearsal. It's always fun to play. As a guitar player, you must resist the urge to play much. If you listen to the isolated tracks, Lindsey lays out a lot. The keys are really soft during the verse as well. It's all about the bass and drum groove - and killer vocals of course.

As for the volume swells, I think using the swell (Slow Gear) settings of the volume works well enough as long as you play with the right dynamics. Lindsey used a volume pedal live.
Anyone have a preset to share we play that song a lot.
It would really be cool to get a better sound to make it sound better.

Anyone have a preset to share we play that song a lot.
It would really be cool to get a better sound to make it sound better.
I left this thread intending to come back and post my preset, and then stuff happened. Anyway, here you go. External 1 does the swells.

Enjoy!

EDIT — BTW, I play this preset on a Les Paul-ish guitar with moderate-output, PAFfy pickups. Middle position — both pickups engaged.

Attachments

• Dreams 2 rx.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I left this thread intending to come back and post my preset, and then stuff happened. Anyway, here you go. External 1 does the swells.

Enjoy!

We still play this song - I need to give it a try. For the swells, I use my volume control but an expression pedal would be easier - live it looks like Lindsey used a volume pedal.

Enjoy!
Thanks Rex Im going to check this out Thank You for posting this we play this song a lot. I have Physical Therapy today so when I get home I’ll load it up Thanks.

Reactions: Rex

Enjoy!
BTW, I play this preset on a Les Paul-ish guitar with moderate-output, PAFfy pickups. Middle position — both pickups engaged.

2 chords the whole time and then it briefly adds the A minor in there one time… lol I think most people don’t even play that

Thanks Rex Im going to check this out Thank You for posting this we play this song a lot. I have Physical Therapy today so when I get home I’ll load it up Thanks.
How did the preset work for you, compared to what you normally use?

Back
Top Bottom