Fleetwood Mac "Dreams"

OMG, I was NOT expecting that VOICE to come out her!
I can put that for 2 hours on repeat, and do the same the next day LOL
Acc. to her and her mum, it was one take. Within 2 weeks she was offered a contract, but I still way prefer this song (and video) to newer and other stuff I've heard from her.

Seems Mick Fleetwood was adamant in complimenting her too.

Mick Fleetwood.jpg

one take 1.jpgone take 2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I'm an antique, but that's really good.
Such tasty guitar, tasty vocals and harmonies, rhythm section, just all around good stuff.
Nothing flashy, just good music.
Nah. That's just great vocals and really good musicians-Jeezzz, she was\id so special................

When Rumours came out (#1 for more than a year, IIRC), I wore out a tape of it (so to speak), playing it for months.

The one song that never registered with me back then was Songbird.

I only realized how gorgeous it could sound when I discovered Eva Cassidy's cover...
Eva Cassidy - Songbird

For the four people that haven't heard of her, she's probably the best interpreter I will ever know. Her covers often hugely improve on phrasing, melody, etc. I've heard people in song contests steal her phrasing/melodies. Sadly, she died early, then got kinda famous for her amazing cover of Over The Rainbow. People tend to see her as an actual angel...

For Songbird, the versions are different enough that you can enjoy both.

There's a few documentaries about Eva, at least one also featuring Mick Fleetwood...

Eva Cassidy - Timeless Voice

Last edited:
Did you try to cover the guitar fills and swells? How do you think that went?
Are you kidding? "Hey, I heard you bought an ice cream cone. Did you eat the ice cream part?" :tonguewink:

Hell yes, I covered the swells and fills. They're the funnest part of that song. It took some study, though. There's some tricky stuff going on there. Just getting into Buckingham's head, to feel why he's making those choices, was a study all by itself. And the tone. I think it went very well. I ended the song on a high. I didn't nail every nuance, but it was easily close enough for the audience and for my bandmates.

Are you kidding? "Hey, I heard you bought an ice cream cone. Did you eat the ice cream part?" :tonguewink:

Hell yes, I covered the swells and fills. They're the funnest part of that song. It took some study, though. There's some tricky stuff going on there. Just getting into Buckingham's head, to feel why he's making those choices, was a study all by itself. And the tone. I think it went very well. I ended the song on a high. I didn't nail every nuance, but it was easily close enough for the audience and for my bandmates.
Cool. I didn't mean any disrespect, kinda the opposite. That's some subtle and understated stuff. Not everybody can chill out like that live, and also do the necessaries to bring out that feel he's got, the whole band really.

Reactions: Rex
Cool. I didn't mean any disrespect, kinda the opposite. That's some subtle and understated stuff. Not everybody can chill out like that live, and also do the necessaries to bring out that feel he's got, the whole band really.
No offense taken. My response was one of exuberance. Like, “How could I not take the opportunity to really try to learn this one?”

It was absolutely fun to dig into that song, even if it took some extra study. Like the swells themselves — different for every phrase, and they’re not all single-step swells. Some have a plateau, followed by a higher swell or a lower “unswell.” Too fun to miss that chance.

When Rumours came out (#1 for more than a year, IIRC), I wore out a tape of it (so to speak), playing it for months.

The one song that never registered with me back then was Songbird.

I only realized how gorgeous it could sound when I discovered Eva Cassidy's cover...
Eva Cassidy - Songbird

For the four people that haven't heard of her, she's probably the best interpreter I will ever know. Her covers often hugely improve on phrasing, melody, etc. I've heard people in song contests steal her phrasing/melodies. Sadly, she died early, then got kinda famous for her amazing cover of Over The Rainbow. People tend to see her as an actual angel...

For Songbird, the versions are different enough that you can enjoy both.

There's a few documentaries about Eva, at least one also featuring Mick Fleetwood...

Eva Cassidy - Timeless Voice
Eva Cassidy was one of a kind. Nightbird, a song sung by Eva (but not written by her) is a much better song imho. But everuthing Eva did was great-
I posted a youtube video here on the forum about her last live show-pretty good recording work. I bought the double album a week later.

As far as songbird, another great song Titled "songbird"............Jesse Colin Young

Lindsey used a rare pedal made by MORLEY for the volume swell; When you strike the strings, it dropped the volume instantly to zero, and then it swells in from there so it's done automatically without need to interact with the volume control. This can be accomplished in the Fractal by attaching an envelope to a volume block. By adjusting the attack and release of the envelope you can have some control over how it behaves... in this song you want a very fast attack and release due to the speed he's playing the notes. The sensitivity on the envelope is also is important.

Back
Top Bottom