Flat vs Layered Effects for Recording

dharq

Inspired
So I may just not be aware of this or it is not possible : When you record anything say in logic for example with a delay on
I am wondering if there is a way to turn off the delay after its been recorded or is it final like a flat file in photoshop
I have tried to just deselect the effect in axe edit, but the recording seems to still be the same as it was recorded.

If this is not something we can do just yet, then maybe a Idea for the future ... if it is .. it would be great if someone could help me out :)

I feel like it would be very useful for recording .. to be able to remove effects or toggle them on or off after the recording is done
to verify things.. or what ever the reason

When you record the track with delay on from the Axe, the track is ‘printed’ with that effect. There really isn’t a way to turn it off. If you wanted the ability to turn the delay off, you would either reamp a DI signal, sending it back through the Axe without the delay on, or you can use a delay plugin within Logic. If you use a delay from Logic, it would function like you are asking.

Exactly as @Werpinater said. The axe is just a fancy box that spits out audio. All Logic does is listen to that audio and record it to a file. The axe has no control over that file afterwards. But if you use plugins in Logic instead for the delay, those plugs aren't written to the file they're just applied on top of it. They can be turned off and on or adjusted afterwards.

As he said as well, a good idea is to take a second track and record a DI (Direct Input) track which is just your guitar signal on the way into the axe (you can set this up with the Axe and USB or outputs). Then you could take your raw guitar signal and send it back through the axe with a different sound loaded and re-record the output. You could also disable all the delays and reverbs on the axe and then just send it through a delay only patch to apply a delay if you wanted too, but that will involve a lot of re-playing the same file to save the new layer.

One other thought, you could record you track with delay, and then send another track predelay out. That would probably require the delay near the end of the signal chain. So in that case you would record your track with delay printed, one with amp tone and no delay, and the DI. Then you could swap between tracks if you wanted to remove the delay or add it back.

Above post is right. I created a Logic template for doing just that. In the Axe preset you have the amp tone going to 1/2 Out and the FX tone going to 3/4. Arm your Logic tracks with input 1/2 and another with 3/4. Works beautifully. You can vary the level of your FX after print or switch to 3rd party FX cleanly. Also a great way to play with some ambience but record dry.

You could also record your delay tracks at 100% mix with 0 raw amp sound, then you have one track with main tone, and one track will all the effects and you can control the mix with those track levels.

Back
Top Bottom