Flashing Lights When FC-6 Connects

UPDATE: Booted up the AxeFX3 this morning with fresh XLR cables and the unit + FC-6 is working flawlessly as intended. Looks like I managed to grab 2 bad cables from my stockpile yesterday. I'll update again if the problem resurfaces.
It might just be the cables aren’t suitable for data comms. Could be they work fine for audio though.

Happy to hear it was just the cables though! :D

It might just be the cables aren’t suitable for data comms. Could be they work fine for audio though.

Happy to hear it was just the cables though! :D

I'm pretty ignorant about the differences between data and audio signals, so I'm unclear on how a typical XLR mic cable could work for one and not the other. What are some of the possible scenarios where that'd happen? (I always figured data signals weren't as picky as audio, seeing as how audio cables are typically shielded. But like I said, I'm pretty ignorant about such things, lol.)

That said, I use my best (newer) XLR cables for my mic, my FC-6, my connection from the AFX III to the mixer, and from the mixer to the powered FOH speakers. I use older cables for our powered floor monitors. I figure if something's gonna die during a gig, the floor monitors would be the least missed.

XLR cables can be wired differently, or there just could be a short.

Maybe they were DMX cables for lights?

I'm pretty ignorant about the differences between data and audio signals, so I'm unclear on how a typical XLR mic cable could work for one and not the other. What are some of the possible scenarios where that'd happen? (I always figured data signals weren't as picky as audio, seeing as how audio cables are typically shielded. But like I said, I'm pretty ignorant about such things, lol.)
Cliff says:

Twisted pair only rejects interference when using balanced signals. FASLINK is not a balanced protocol. But it is robust because it uses high signaling levels. You can use any wire for FASLINK but ideally it should be shielded and a heavy enough gauge to carry up to 1A without significant voltage drop.

FASLINK uses two conductors plus shield (standard mic cable). One conductor is power. The other conductor is data. The shield is the common return for the two conductors.

We've tested FASLINK over 100m of cable. As long as the conductors are heavy enough so the voltage doesn't drop too much you can run it very long distances.

So I wouldn’t expect any issues with any XLR cable, as long as the conductors are thick enough. And even if they weren’t, it wouldn't cause issues with the Axe itself.

Back
Top Bottom