Fizzy sound during recording/monitoring with axe fx II

I have been getting a fizzy noise over all my wet recorded tracks when I output to my computer using my MIDI USB cable to record. My dry DI signal records fine with no fizz. When I play out of my 4x12 cab live using the XLR balanced output, it sounds great and I don't get any fizz. I also plugged the headphone out to an audio interface on a different computer at my bands studio and I got the fizz noise when monitoring on that computer.

I know that there are a few other threads regarding this topic so I checked those out and tried adjusting settings on my amp>advanced tab such as the high cut freq, tonestack settings, and triode plate frequencies with no luck.

Some info on my unit: I picked up my axe FX II unit a few months ago used from some guy who has had it since 2011, and I did not reset it to the factory settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what settings I can adjust to eliminate this fizz that I am getting? I can share examples of this sound if needed.

Thanks

I get this type of fizz when I have the "bright" button engaged and using high gain with a lot of distortion. If you are sitting at your computer, guaranteed you are getting more fizz from the static electricity, etc. I would adjust the noise gate a bit. There are some good options in there. You can also bring down the bright frequency.

Before you get into the advanced tweaking options, I wonder if you have cab modelling turned off in GLOBAL since a lot of people don't use this when playing through a 'real' guitar cab?
Also what about your power amp modelling since you don't mention what the rest of your chain is? SS amp? Tube amp?

Sounds like cab modeling could be off, or sample rate miss match ! You have to use 48k sample rate if you go digital out!

When i hear fizz i immediately think digital clipping somewhere in the chain. If your clip light on the axe isnt engaging the signal might still be too hot coming into the DAW?

Getting it out of left eon 15 monitor usb is hooked up axe is running that might be it but I am editing and need that currently..

I hear it increase when I turn the volume up on the monitor though dust in the pot or problem with horn had this before with axe and it stopped
dirty electricity perhaps ?

Tempted to swap cables to the monitors and see if it happens on other side...
its out of the left side only here.

Im not quite sure if this is relivent, however ive had a similar problem when the sample rate wasn't set right on my interface/daw

I have been getting a fizzy noise over all my wet recorded tracks when I output to my computer using my MIDI USB cable to record. My dry DI signal records fine with no fizz. When I play out of my 4x12 cab live using the XLR balanced output, it sounds great and I don't get any fizz. I also plugged the headphone out to an audio interface on a different computer at my bands studio and I got the fizz noise when monitoring on that computer.

I know that there are a few other threads regarding this topic so I checked those out and tried adjusting settings on my amp>advanced tab such as the high cut freq, tonestack settings, and triode plate frequencies with no luck.

Some info on my unit: I picked up my axe FX II unit a few months ago used from some guy who has had it since 2011, and I did not reset it to the factory settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what settings I can adjust to eliminate this fizz that I am getting? I can share examples of this sound if needed.

Thanks
Please give us a recording of the sound if you want help on this.

"Fizz" is such a generic term that it could basicly mean anything from ground noise to simply too much gain applied.

Have you tried recording to a laptop running on battery? I noticed that this solves 90% of noise problems with recordings.

Before you get into the advanced tweaking options, I wonder if you have cab modelling turned off in GLOBAL since a lot of people don't use this when playing through a 'real' guitar cab?
Also what about your power amp modelling since you don't mention what the rest of your chain is? SS amp? Tube amp?

What do you mean by 'global'? How to do I turn on/off the cab modeling in that?

I am using a cheap SS power amp when I play live thru my 4x12

Please give us a recording of the sound if you want help on this.

"Fizz" is such a generic term that it could basicly mean anything from ground noise to simply too much gain applied.

Have you tried recording to a laptop running on battery? I noticed that this solves 90% of noise problems with recordings.

https://soundcloud.com/thespawned00/fizzy-lead

Hopefully that link works ^ which is a clip of this lead that I tried to record and the DI is fine but the wet signal has that high fizz...

And no, I have not tried recording on a laptop yet but I used to record direct onto the same computer with a POD HD PRO X and it didn't seem to have the fizzy sound.

Question: do you have the fizzy sound on factory presets aswell?

PS: That is some angry shredding, bro. Much respect.

!! Can't believe such an awesome player is unaware of the global cab modelling setting !!
I knew that even before buying the AFX :)

Maybe it's somthing else but from what I heard, its %99 because your cab modelling is off. It should be off only if youre using a real cab. And the same logic goes for power amps too.

!! Can't believe such an awesome player is unaware of the global cab modelling setting !!
I knew that even before buying the AFX :)

Maybe it's somthing else but from what I heard, its %99 because your cab modelling is off. It should be off only if youre using a real cab. And the same logic goes for power amps too.

Turning the cab modelling on in the global settings solved the problem! It was definitely a noob move :D

I'm hyped because this tone sounds amazing now! I'll re-record that lead clip again with cab modelling and post it up when I get time.

Thank you dudes for the quick responses.

Back
Top Bottom