"Fizz is Good"

I'm not comfortable with this thread.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics, but I personally loathe "fizz".

Now, if it's "sizzle", which I will say is present in many of the patches inherent to all things Fractal, then I'm 100% totally okay and accepting - even welcoming - of such. Sizzle rocks. Fizz is, well, no...I don't like it.

Just me :mrgreen

I should change my thinking. It is more of a "sizzle" and not "fizz".

I think you basically proved a point here. A real amp recorded does have some high end sizzle to it. This is because it's going through a microphone, a preamp, mixing board and to some form of analog to digital converter. We are use to a slightly different, less realistic version. Reality is scary and somewhat ugly.

What I miss is a little bit of the fairy tale. Can we get a few amps or better yet, an option to sound like version 9 for real? I can't seem to get there exactly. It seems to me that the sizzle is in the IRs. I know you mention to turn down triode hardness and turn of Mimic but do we also need to set modeling to version 9? Anything else to get it exact?

Version 10 is monumental in realism and I don't want to go back. There is reality, it's a faster sound (super important to me). I just want my cake and to eat it too.

I think you basically proved a point here. A real amp recorded does have some high end sizzle to it. This is because it's going through a microphone, a preamp, mixing board and to some form of analog to digital converter. .

Not sure that's the reason, it's not as if these things add top end sizzle by themselves. The amp probably does sound like that IRL, it's just when you are in the room with it, it's so stupidly loud you can't hear it.

Not sure that's the reason, it's not as if these things add top end sizzle by themselves. The amp probably does sound like that IRL, it's just when you are in the room with it, it's so stupidly loud you can't hear it.

That's a very good point, but engineers tend to like sizzle probably because of their loss of hearing above 8k. This is not because of the loud volumes, but has more to do with the screaming wives.

You can definitely hear it in the room if you point the speaker(s) toward your ears.

But please use extreme caution. A 4x12 Marshall cranked up but pointed at knee level can do serious ear damage if you lean down to hear what it sounds like up close.

You can definitely hear it in the room if you point the speaker(s) toward your ears.

But please use extreme caution. A 4x12 Marshall cranked up but pointed at knee level can do serious ear damage if you lean down to hear what it sounds like up close.

Yeah, the idea of putting my head up to my AC30 fully cranked scares me! Instant tinnitus!

Semantics..,,everyone is saying the same thing whether they use the term fizz or sizzle or whatever
Semantics this may be - but in the analog world - when mic'ing a cab - it's all about NO fizz, ONLY sizzle. So it does have some relevance in the sonic realm.

But my comfort level has been restored navigating this thread now ;)

I just have to say, I turned my rockerverb 50 into half power last night by taking out one of the fuses to make it 25 watts. Sounded beautiful cranked but I actually noticed the fizziness on it and thought of this thread :) Might not hurt to have a few "modeled" tube amps around just to remind you Axe II guys just how close the axe is. Need to SELL MY ULTRA so i can join in!

Back
Top Bottom