"Fizz is Good"

OK so its something wrong with my AxeFX then. If two of you arent hearing it, i think thats pretty indicative. Mine sounds NIGHT AND DAY worse compared to all previous FW versions of this patch as an example. Farty, fizzy, and extremely inarticulate.

Now, i have no idea what to do about it. Im not about to go deep editing on all my presets with issues like this because something is wrong with my box. Grr...

For my Les Paul, I have to set the drive at 1 and lower the input trim to get a Fender patch not to break up at all.

But that guitar does the exact same thing with the real amps. I still have a Princeton Rev, Dual Showman, Blonde Bassman and a Twin.

After getting the amp clean, trying lowering the Master to 9 or so, just to get the bell tone going on. A little goes a long way here between power tube saturation and a clear ringing Fender bell tone.

If you can't clean it up this way, check your pickups for being too close to the strings.

Richard

Richard is correct.

OK so its something wrong with my AxeFX then. If two of you arent hearing it, i think thats pretty indicative. Mine sounds NIGHT AND DAY worse compared to all previous FW versions of this patch as an example. Farty, fizzy, and extremely inarticulate.

Now, i have no idea what to do about it. Im not about to go deep editing on all my presets with issues like this because something is wrong with my box. Grr...

I'm not convinced something is wrong. With the AxeFX anyway.

I made a strange discovery today.

Some of 9.02 tone came back with increasing master volume. Mastervolume trim above 10 in some cases.

Not 9.02 but I am not missing it anymore.....

AAEN

eda123---I don't know if this will be helpful, but thought I'd post in case it does. I may have had a similar problem--the other day I dialed up a clean patch for direct recording and it had a weird buzziness that does not sound unlike what you've described. I started to wonder if my speaker emulation was turned off and went to Global to check. As I recall (I'm a little unsure cause I didn't think about it that much) things looked normal there but I decided to quickly toggle the power amp modeling and the cabinet modeling and after turning both 'off' and then 'on' again my sound was back to normal....

In retrospect its possible that the speaker modeling was turned off to start with (as I originally suspected) BUT I don't think that it was...I think something about toggling the two parameters brought the axe back to normal. Anyway, might be worth a try with your unit.

i have it on clean patches also, turning down input trim helps and eliminates the fizz completely

clarkys comments are absolutely right

i have one bank for home playing on cans or small speakers and another for live FRFR which are tweaked to that medium

I'm not convinced something is wrong. With the AxeFX anyway.

How is it that you are not using this as your avatar?

reddy+kilowatt.jpg

So, here is one example.

Factory preset 003,bank A. "Double Verb".

When I play it with a humbucker, it distorts MASSIVELY, and sounds awful. Unless i bring the MV down from 10... but "10" is what we are supposed to use for non-MV amps and it sounds like crap! Buzzy, fizzy, not at ALL what a Twin sounds like even when cranked.

I did a factory reset, reset all user cabs, re-installed all factory banks. Still ultra fizzy and crappy sounding.

Can someone else verify that with medium output humbuckers, preset 003 just fizzes out? Is this actually expected to sound like this?

I've only used my Strat with v10 so far, with the Vintage Zexcoil pickup set. I'm pulling the Input Trim down to .75 or even .50 & the drive down to 1.0 - 1.5 to keep the Fender clean amps clean (and the AC-30TB, too).

So, you guys do hear a ton of loud fizz and carry breakup in factory preset 003? Can someone who is enjoying fw10 please confirm, so I can be sure this isn't some other sort of issue?

Yes. Although only with medium to high output humbuckers. Rolling the volume back makes it go away, as does playing with single coils or lower output pickups.

Actually the first time I tried this patch I tripled checked to make sure that I actually had cabinet modeling turned on that's how bad it sounded. It's easy to fix though... The Cab IR that's used is a rather fizzy one so the first thing I'd do is change that as well as lower your MV trim.

Thanks Alter Ego and Talus... good to know.

And thanks Cliff, thats similar to the sound i get. When others said thiers wasnt breaking up with humbuckers- I wasnt sure what to think.

pj - there are a few things worthy of note here...

when you hear things at higher volumes [gig / rehearsal] you'll perceive the highs as being stronger so you'll naturally tame them some
so the resultant tone will be smoother but still bright
the Axe though can simulate 'high volume' tones at low volumes.. but because your rig at home isn't knocking walls down you will perceive it a little differently
and this is the reason that I have two banks of presets where the second bank is a copy of the first but is dialled in for high volume usage..
in a sense.. this is no different to your previous 'big rig' for live and 'modeller' for home practice..
well... you have an Axe... so why not create both 'usage types' in the Axe..

another point is that when you hear mixes on CD's etc, you're never hearing the guitars raw and naked..
they're in the mix, they've been EQ'd on the mixing desk, and the whole mix has had all kinds of compression and limiting etc etc thrown at it to make it sound all polished and pretty..

so...
home practice...
just dial in whatever works best with your home monitoring / cans / etc
make the presets all glossy, fat, wet etc.. whatever makes you feel great..

live..
copy these presets up to the next bank and try them through your live backline / monitoring up at gig volume..
and all the things that need taming should be pretty obvious...

A bit late but wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write this reply. \m/

Well I finally had a break through with the "fizz" issue. I did what Cliff talked about and turned down the Triode Hardness all the way down and turned off MIMIC. I recorded a few tracks with super high gain and did a rough mix. Guitars were dull and lifeless and sounded like my old POD when listening back. Cut the same tracks but with default settings and the guitars were amazing. Cut through the mix and sounded more organic. The "fizz" is not nearly as noticeable in a mix. I am actually starting to like it the more I know why it's there....

Well I finally had a break through with the "fizz" issue. I did what Cliff talked about and turned down the Triode Hardness all the way down and turned off MIMIC. I recorded a few tracks with super high gain and did a rough mix. Guitars were dull and lifeless and sounded like my old POD when listening back. Cut the same tracks but with default settings and the guitars were amazing. Cut through the mix and sounded more organic. The "fizz" is not nearly as noticeable in a mix. I am actually starting to like it the more I know why it's there....

EXACTLY. I noticed this too when comparing my recordings with FW9 and FW10, that freaking fizz doesn't pop out in the mix at all and the guitars have a lot more life, definitely!

Haha, the "fizz" is the reason I bought the Axe FX2, it's missing from the Axe FX1.

I assume the people complaining about it haven't had a cranked amp in a recording studio before.

I'm not comfortable with this thread.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics, but I personally loathe "fizz".

Now, if it's "sizzle", which I will say is present in many of the patches inherent to all things Fractal, then I'm 100% totally okay and accepting - even welcoming - of such. Sizzle rocks. Fizz is, well, no...I don't like it.

Just me :mrgreen

I'm not comfortable with this thread.

Perhaps it's a matter of semantics, but I personally loathe "fizz".

Now, if it's "sizzle", which I will say is present in many of the patches inherent to all things Fractal, then I'm 100% totally okay and accepting - even welcoming - of such. Sizzle rocks. Fizz is, well, no...I don't like it.

Just me :mrgreen

Yeah, top end "sizzle" is what I'm talking about. People seem to be calling it it fizz on here. The clip posted originally is top end sizzle. Fizz to me is a harsh distortion.

Semantics..,,everyone is saying the same thing whether they use the term fizz or sizzle or whatever

Back
Top Bottom