"Fizz is Good"

You put that tone in a mix with effects and you won't hear it so much, the only time I haven't heard fizz ,sizzle is playing a clean amp

If you don't like the fizz you can turn the Triode Hardness all the way down but it won't sound like a real amp then and will get lost in the mix.

guys....
I'm in the process of creating my next generation presets...
part of this is creating my new riffing tone...

so I've just spent a good couple of hours auditioning different cabs with my amp choices...
I just can't stress enough how important it is to get this part right...
some cabs will accentuate the hi-gain high freqs in a bad way...
and others will smooth them out although the high end [and there fore the definition] will remain..

I came up with this for my riffing tone
amp1:X = 5153Blue -------> cab left = 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix
amp2:X = Herbert ch2+ --> cab right = 4x12 1960a GM12M (RW)

now this may surprise Cliff [cos back in 6.0 I was one of the guys getting all hot and bothered about the fizz to the point where I hi-cut the cab back to 7000]
in FW10, I had to open up the cab hi-cut to 20000
and in the amp block EQ page I'm boosting 2k and 4k a touch and putting a 5dB cut at 8k
which seems to my ears to be less strong than the cab hi-cut, so you get plenty of definition, enough of the fizz to generate 'aggressive energy' in the tone but it's under control..
and now I've got Santas Pelotas de Caca del Fuego

so....
before you kill off your amp's tone with advanced parms
be 100000% certain that you've chosen the best possible cab /s

to my ear, 10.0 is not a fizzy FW drop..
in fact...
to my ear it's absolutely smokin'

So, here is one example.

Factory preset 003,bank A. "Double Verb".

When I play it with a humbucker, it distorts MASSIVELY, and sounds awful. Unless i bring the MV down from 10... but "10" is what we are supposed to use for non-MV amps and it sounds like crap! Buzzy, fizzy, not at ALL what a Twin sounds like even when cranked.

I did a factory reset, reset all user cabs, re-installed all factory banks. Still ultra fizzy and crappy sounding.

Can someone else verify that with medium output humbuckers, preset 003 just fizzes out? Is this actually expected to sound like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, here is one example.

Factory preset 003,bank A. "Double Verb".

When I play it with a humbucker, it distorts MASSIVELY, and sounds awful. Unless i bring the MV down from 10... but "10" is what we are supposed to use for non-MV amps and it sounds like crap! Buzzy, fizzy, not at ALL what a Twin sounds like even when cranked.

I did a factory reset, reset all user cabs, re-installed all factory banks. Still ultra fizzy and crappy sounding.

Can someone else verify that with medium output humbuckers, preset 003 just fizzes out? Is this actually expected to sound like this?

What's the drive set at?

Pull it down to 1.5 and then pull down the input trim if necessary.

Stock preset 003. You can take a look. Drive is on 4.12. Please let me know if this factory preset also sounds fizzy to you scott. I would figure preset numer #3 wouldnt need tweaking to sound even remotely decent- its one of the first few presets ppl will test drive.

People,
Don't confuse synthetic Fizz ( all other modelers) with real fizz ( amps,v10 ) there is most definitely a difference. If I had one complaint is that my ears and probably everyones else's is not yet used to HEARING WHILE PLAYING CD quality guitar. But they are starting to really adjust nicely..lol

JLP

Understandably a lot of people must not have played ever through a real tube amp. The deluxe tweed is spot on with my 5e3 deluxe tweed. The "bacon sizzling" clipping is exact. The flubby low end is exact. Call it fizz or whatever, but this is what amps sound like... I can't believe the number of topics on this "fizz" where people think theres something wrong with their Axe... V10 is awesome Cliff. The default AC30 TB settings make the amp sound just like what took me a fair amount of tweaking in previous versions.

6160 block was almost identical to my 5150 combo hence why I sold it. Im not seeing where the problem is with most people. I have not had any issues dialing in tones

Yup, that's what amps sound like. If you don't like it turn Triode Hardness to zero, turn off MIMIC and it will sound like V9.

6160 block was almost identical to my 5150 combo hence why I sold it. Im not seeing where the problem is with most people. I have not had any issues dialing in tones

I'm in a similar place. I've not worked on/with all the amps in v.10 but I've owned a LOT of amps and many of them are in v.10 version and I am having no issues at all dialing them up to match or exceed the real things based on comparing recordings of them I did long ago.

As some of you may know, I have always been *absolutely ruthless* about unnatural fizz in modelers - the key word is *unnatural*. Real amps do have varying amounts of what we might call 'fizz', but it sounds much better in a mix than the unnatural *mosquito tone* I used to complain about in most modelers. If this sound is really bothering you, the AFX offers a plethora of ways to modify it & make your ears happy...

So, you guys do hear a ton of loud fizz and carry breakup in factory preset 003? Can someone who is enjoying fw10 please confirm, so I can be sure this isn't some other sort of issue?

Yes I know I can dial it out. But that's not what I'm asking.

Like most of us I played tubes for a long time (20 yrs) before switching to the axe. I've not heard a dlx break up like this with volume at 4. I know what amps sound like LOL.

I have heard raw tones that sound unusable until you hear them in the mix where they sound epic. This seems to apply especially to hi gain tones.

So, you guys do hear a ton of loud fizz and carry breakup in factory preset 003? Can someone who is enjoying fw10 please confirm, so I can be sure this isn't some other sort of issue?

Like most of us I played tubes for a long time (20 yrs) before switching to the axe. I've not heard a dlx break up like this with volume at 4. I know what amps sound like LOL.

003 doesn't weird to me.

BTW, 003 is a Deluxe Reverb. Compared to a Deluxe, the Deluxe Reverb breaks up earlier when increasing volume. (fenderguru.com)
And FWIW, the Fenders are modelled using the High input.

A few notes.

Amps of the same model
vary by a good bit, so Cliffs deluxe might break up earlier than the deluxe your familiar with.

I have noticed than when the real amp is played at volume 4, for example, it is really loud in the room whereas the Axe-Fx is probably played through monitors or headphones at a much lower volume. In my tests it seems that fizz on the clean amps was less noticeable in comparison to the rest of the tone at louder volumes. In other words, the fizz was more noticeable on clean tones at low volume.

Thirdly, try some different cabs including the FF cabs with some room reverb to try and simulate the amp in the room of that is what your are comparing it too. Some IRs accentuate the bad fizz you are referring to.

No.

OK so its something wrong with my AxeFX then. If two of you arent hearing it, i think thats pretty indicative. Mine sounds NIGHT AND DAY worse compared to all previous FW versions of this patch as an example. Farty, fizzy, and extremely inarticulate.

Now, i have no idea what to do about it. Im not about to go deep editing on all my presets with issues like this because something is wrong with my box. Grr...

OK so its something wrong with my AxeFX then. If two of you arent hearing it, i think thats pretty indicative. Mine sounds NIGHT AND DAY worse compared to all previous FW versions of this patch as an example. Farty, fizzy, and extremely inarticulate.

Now, i have no idea what to do about it. Im not about to go deep editing on all my presets with issues like this because something is wrong with my box. Grr...

For my Les Paul, I have to set the drive at 1 and lower the input trim to get a Fender patch not to break up at all.

But that guitar does the exact same thing with the real amps. I still have a Princeton Rev, Dual Showman, Blonde Bassman and a Twin.

After getting the amp clean, trying lowering the Master to 9 or so, just to get the bell tone going on. A little goes a long way here between power tube saturation and a clear ringing Fender bell tone.

If you can't clean it up this way, check your pickups for being too close to the strings.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom