[fixed] Weird crackling with Pitch Shift of -12 (but not other shifts)

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
I set up a bass simulator using the Virtual Capo with a setting of -12. However, when I play there are intermittent crackles that happen near the note attack but also as pulses as if the CPU is maxed (but it is only at 60%). Strangely at a setting of -11 or -13 the crackles go away. I could replicate this on the Dual Shift as well with one set at -12. It is not my amp/monitoring system as I've unplugged those. It is also not static electricity. I'm playing a humbucker. I'm on FW 2.04.

The RTA freq resp shows random smooth bumps appearing in the 2-20kHz range corresponding with the crackles.

PitchShift-12_crackle.JPG

I recorded a short audio clip in which you can hear the crackles. In the second part of the clip I did a high pass above 200Hz and you can hear the crackles and a high pitched whine as well.

Attached is the patch if anyone can confirm the same issue on their Axe III.

Attachments

• Mesa Boogie Bass Preamp.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Try setting the 'Tracking' parameter to '3.50'. I sometimes get the crackling if it is set to the default setting of '5.00'.
Maybe a bug?

Thanks Moke, that does help.

But I think it is a bug because:
  • For other shifts like -11/-13 even at tracking of 10 there are no clicks (verified on RTA).
  • If I add even 0.1 detuning to -12 the crackles and pops go away
So I think there is something about the octave - maybe it is a special case in the algorithm?

Would someone be willing to try the preset I uploaded to see if they can replicate the crackling to see if is a 'bug" and not just my unit?

There is an RTA block to look for the crackles ~ smooth humps that randomly appear between 2-20kHz.

Also possibly confirm that it goes away with other shifts (-11/-13) or added detuning to -12.

Besides the general discussion thread is there a place to report possible bugs?

Back
Top Bottom