[fixed] Strange thing going on with AF3

levipeto

Fractal Fanatic
Since I installed 12.08b3 I having issues with my sound (could be since b2). This is just an observation on my timeline so may have nothing to do with it.
We also had some storms when the power went out, while the unit was on.
I also had a new pair of headphones 2 weeks ago, that I had to adjust. It has more bass and more highs.
I reinstalled 12.07 but I can no longer see my presets since I haven't backed them up and as after the update I guess they were all saved by the system. So I can't compare.

So my symptoms are:
I have shrilling highs,
Way too much distortion on a Friedman on 5 (for example), when it should be an ACDC type sound.
The tone is very compressed, even just an amp block and a cabinet block. You can hear the squeeze if you hit harder. Not pleasant sound.
Mids has an out of phase tone. (Regardless of cabs).
All amp has the same distortion base tone. They all sound similar even with very different types of amps.

I have the Axe-Fx 3 for a long time and I know when it has the WOW sound, but I can't et it anymore.

I reinstalled 12.08b3, b2, 12.07 several times. Same thing.
I did reset global settings.
I tried different guitars.

Any tips?

Last edited:
Do you have a recording from when it sounded good that you can try to reproduce? Doing that and comparing the results would eliminate the listening environment from the equation. It would also produce objective audio that you can share.

Make a new preset from scratch (which I think is what GlennO is saying), see if problem persists.

Since the unit is working at all, it's unlikely related to storm damage.

Oh, and in global settings check to see whether Amp/Cab simulation is on.

I created a preset with only 2 blocks In1 -> Out 1
I checked Out 1's Level and it's hitting +10dB when I pick harder. Probably more, but that's the limit. The global instrument level is at the default 50%.

If I turn Instrument level to 0.0%, then Output still hits +5-7dB.

It is happening with both of my guitars with passive humbuckers.

Just an observation maybe has nothing to do with my problem.

Last edited:
I created a preset with only 2 blocks In1 -> Out 1
I checked Out 1's Level and it's hitting +10dB when I pick harder. Probably more, but that's the limit. The global instrument level is at the default 50%.

If I turn Instrument level to 0.0%, then Output still hits +5-7dB.

It is happening with both of my guitars with passive humbuckers.

Just an observation maybe has nothing to do with my problem.
Instrument level doesn't affect the grid level that much, so that sounds normal.

have you tried another Input with another Input block to compare?

Here is a test:
AMP: Plexi 100W High + CAB: factory 73
default settings

Attachments

• Test - LP2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
I feel like I'm getting this too, on all of the Marshall variants? Almost fuzz-like clipping on the lower notes?

I've experienced something like this too. I actually hadn't done an update in a couple of the past few releases, and since did now things are shrill and digital sounding a bit on every preset (factory and user). I haven't changed a thing but the update and it sounded fine before. For reference I'm running thru a CLR.

I messed with it for an evening then gave up for now. I've had axes for years and know the usual things to check. Something is weird. Figured I'd wait for next full release.

I've experienced something like this too. I actually hadn't done an update in a couple of the past few releases, and since did now things are shrill and digital sounding a bit on every preset (factory and user). I haven't changed a thing but the update and it sounded fine before. For reference I'm running thru a CLR.

I messed with it for an evening then gave up for now. I've had axes for years and know the usual things to check. Something is weird. Figured I'd wait for next full release.
on the the latest public beta specifically?

on the the latest public beta specifically?

I don't have my axe near me right now, but thinking about it, it couldn't be this beta because it was the last full release that fractal bot downloaded automatically.

I was thinking maybe it was cause I skipped a couple updates in order... but have read that should'nt matter.

Would maybe a complete blanket reset and then update do something? Something isn't right tho and had only done an update. I did try a refresh after new firmware too.

Can someone send me a dry

Check your CLRs. Turn on only one at the time and see if the woofer and the tweeter work on both!
I had this issue twice now. One of my CLRs is back in repair for 4 months by now... but it's a different story.

Check your CLRs. Turn on only one at the time and see if the woofer and the tweeter work on both!
I had this issue twice now. One of my CLRs is back in repair for 4 months by now... but it's a different story.

Hmmm. That could be too. It was a brand new CLR NEO I got a month ago that I hadn't used before. It was loud and full sounding tho. Just digital fizz and like you noted kind of an out of phase sound going on.

Luckily, I actually do have another older CLR that I know is good I can try. NTM, I have a Mission Gemini 2 also I can run it thru.

God, I don't look forward to dealing with the PITA of getting a CLR fixed if so. :( Its brand new.

The tweeter didn’t work on one of my CLR’s when I received it new. The wire had came loose . Reconnected and worked fine since.

Here is a test:
AMP: Plexi 100W High + CAB: factory 73
default settings

Clip sounds good to me. Tested on multiple speakers (Yamaha HS8s, KRK Rokit 5, JHAudio JH16s, Shure SRH440). I'm not sure what I should be listening for. Do you notice this behavior on clean amps?

Any special way to check if tweeter and woofer are working?

Download a signal generator and sweep through a frequency spectrum from 20hz to 20k. If you have an iPhone, the app "tone gen." is free. Plug your iPhone directly into your speakers/FRFR device by using an 1/8th jack to quarter or XLR depending on the inputs. Sweep from 20hz to 20k. If you notice any "gaps" at certain frequencies or there are frequencies missing or you notice a rattle, then there is something wrong with either the speaker or the FRFR unit.

Back
Top Bottom