[fixed] Roland FC-300: jumpy MIDI controllers?

I did try that, I mentioned earlier that I observed the data on my Mac using MIDI Monitor and it looks totally fine. I even recorded it into the my DAW, and I can play the recording back to the Axe-FX and it works totally fine then. The problem is that observing the MIDI data on the computer is after it has been interpreted by the computer's MIDI-USB interface. That is why I think the problem may lie in the Axe-FX's interpretation of the serial MIDI data stream.

I did try that, I mentioned earlier that I observed the data on my Mac using MIDI Monitor and it looks totally fine. I even recorded it into the my DAW, and I can play the recording back to the Axe-FX and it works totally fine then. The problem is that observing the MIDI data on the computer is after it has been interpreted by the computer's MIDI-USB interface. That is why I think the problem may lie in the Axe-FX's interpretation of the serial MIDI data stream.
Sorry... I forgot you posted that already.

You're only using 1 midi cable, right?

Spent a while longer on it today, tried yet more MIDI cables, and also tried an external expression pedal into the E3 input on the FC-300 to rule out a problem with the pedals, still no luck getting it to work.

I ordered an FC-300 for my VG-99 and it came just before I headed out for a long weekend, I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

I pestered Cliff about this on the II after it had been addressed in a previous firmware. It was MY issue, not the II's. Come to find out I was going into an HD500 and out the thru and the HD500 wasn't passing the thru signal correctly. Something to do with midi 'running status'.

So I know you said you are going straight into the III, but just wanted to verify.

-cp

I suspect it has to do with running status but the Axe-Fx III does support running status so I'm not sure what's going on.

I suspect it has to do with running status but the Axe-Fx III does support running status so I'm not sure what's going on.
If i remember correctly, we had problems with FC300 and RAC12 few years ago because its running status implementation was bad... I can search in my code if more details needed

I just tried my FC-300 with my Axe III. The expression pedals are definitely not working correctly with the Axe III.

@FractalAudio I'm 99.9999% sure it is a problem with running status. You can effectively disable running status on the FC-300. In Patch Mode, configure the expression pedal to send different messages on different channels. This means the FC-300 can't do running status because it has to send two control messages for every movement of the pedal.

Good info, I will try out patch mode.
Ideally it would work in standard mode though, since I want to use PC mapping to switch between patches and scenes, then have the two switches and pedals available for use for controllers.

I don't get any issues with the FC-300 though VG-99 to the Axe III

That makes me curious…. I have a VG99 and FC300, and just ordered the AxeIII yesterday ;-)
So total noob in the Axe3 field, but quite experienced with modelling tech...

How exactly would you do that? Connect FC-300 -> VG99 (with the RRC2 cable or midi?) -> midi out to Axe?
How would you control what the FC300 is sending to the VG99 or the Axe?

Slightly off topic: I really would like to combine VG99 synth/alternate tunings/acoustics with Axe amps/effects. Searching the forum I saw some older post related to that where my take-away is that the best way to combine is by putting the VG99 in the effectsloop and putting that effectsloop at the beginning of the signal chain in the Axe3? Any other hints/tips/thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom