***[FIXED]*** Out of the blue: clipping during playback (and probably recording) under any circumstances

Jupiter

Inspired
Hi to all.

OK, I am a bit pissed off because I've already lost a couple of hours troubleshooting and it doesn't look good to me.

Setup/gear info:
  • AxeFX2 Mark I (with a Mission Expression connected) connected to the PC/laptop via USB cable and to my power amp/cab, Ares 2.00 firmware
  • Win10 PC and Laptop

The problem:
  • No matter what I try to record OR playback through my AxeFxII Mark I (latest firmware, connected via USB) the sound is crackling, I am NOT talking about the real time sound I get from the power amp/cab as I play (which is great as always), I am talking about the playback result. It doesn't matter what level it is, it doesn't matter which program I use to playback (Winamp, Audacity, Reaper) it is ALWAYS a crackling mess
  • It's not output clipping because the volume level doesn't change anything (even when the output clip leds don't get lit). Even significantly reducing the Amp levels so say my DAWs read -12db peak the result is just the same, it just doesn't matter
  • That's out of the blue as I use the same hardware (PC, laptop, programs etc.) for several years, no changes whatsoever other than software updates
  • None of my presets exceeds 70% of CPU
  • Since the playback (via USB) is the main problem, I had to find what the heck was going on with the recording (via USB). A visual inspection of the sound waves in two DAWs showed no clipping whatsoever. I even recorded with peak levels at -15 to -20db just to be on the safe side. Then I saved/export the audio file and listened to it through the TV or another audio interface. Result: the recordings are exactly the same as the playbacks via USB which means they are crackling.

Other:
- No problem playing with the AxeFx2 through my small power amp and 1x12", sounds as it sounded 9 years ago, the problem seems to be only recording and playing back through the USB in all cases

Troubleshooting (nothing changed, no improvement):
  • Unistalled every single Windows Update
  • Unistalled and reinstalled the FAS USB driver (the latest available version)
  • Made sure that everything on Window's side was set on 48Khz/24bit
  • Checked my systems latency (not an issue 'cause I would have serious issues during recording and that would be a doozie), made sure that the samples value on the FAS driver is the default 2048 (which I've never had to change anyway)
  • Tried a different USB port on my desktop (Win10 with and without updates)
  • Tried a different USB cable
  • Tried the same things on my laptop (Win10)
  • Tried on a different laptop with fresh-installed Win7 Ultimate 64 bit (with only chipset drivers and FAS USB driver)
  • Fooled around with the I/O USB Return Level (default is 0.00) and USB Buffer Size (default is 64)
  • Tried with REAPER, Audacity, Winamp
  • Tried with AxeEdit open and closed

I am running out of ideas here and I have the feeling that something related to AxeFX's USB just crapped out.

If you have any ideas please be my guest. I know that eventually I will probably have to contact the G66.eu guys and gals but if it's a hardware issue I am not very optimistic as I bought it back in 2011.

Thanks in advance!

PS1: I've already contacted the support department so that's that. Please, if you have any ideas, just take a few minutes and read carefully what I've actully tried and what the issue is first before you post, there is no reason to repeat the same thing over and over again. Thanks!

PS2: I just connected the Axe to the UMC404HD so I can at least record the wet tracks (pheeewww, that's a relief!). No problems during recording/playback (both through the UMC404HD obviously) so it's not some random or generic Win audio issue.

Last edited:
Maybe post one of your presets that is crackling, so someone else can check and see if they have the same issues on their Axe FXII.

The only time I've ever had a crackle sound was when the CPU was too high. 70% should be no problem.
Be careful with your gain staging so you are not clipping the Axe FX or your DAW.

Do you have the latest USB driver?

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

Last edited:
Maybe post one of your presets that is crackling, so someone else can check and see if they have the same issues on their Axe FXII.

The only time I've ever had a crackle sound was when the CPU was too high. 70% should be no problem.
Be careful with your gain staging so you are not clipping the Axe FX or your DAW.

It has nothing to do with the preset or any preset I use. Every preset I use is practically a single one with minor changes in terms of amps, cabs and EQ and I've been using them for more than 5 years now and it doesn't happen when I play.

The issue is playing back via USB, that's how I actually identified the issue (essensially it's when I use the AxeFX as a USB audiio interface). The sound through the cab sounds great as always when I play but try to playback anything (a random mp3, an old recording or whatever) and you get the crackling. Nothing gets clipped, my DAW's and Axe's level gauges don't lie, no reds at all (-6db to 0db tops, no red lights whatsoever).

Recording via USB is an issue as well no matter what the level it is (yes even with 20 db less than usual, and I always leave the default sample value to 2048 on the USB driver) so something is wrong with the USB/digital ins/outs I reckon.

I repeat, I own it since 2011, I've recorded countless of themes and songs with the Axe via USB so it's neither of these.

PS: yes, I have the latest driver installed (which is kinda old anyway)

Last edited:
Like you, I am out of ideas for how to fix this. I'd contact support. I am sure they will be able to help you correct the problem quickly.

That's alright, I just sent them an email so we'll see...

Worse comes to worse I'll just use my UMC404HD as an audio interface until the FM3 lands. Come to thing of it, I always record and keep the dry tracks as well but I've yet to actually use one for re-amp etc. so I'll probably not gonna miss anything.

I’d look at W10 as the culprit. Lately it’s been 100% a complete shitshow with constant crackling in my USB headphones, randomly fucking up sound settings and otherwise causing absolute mayhem on my flight sim rig. I spent 45 minutes today troubleshooting microphone issues. Sims is the only thing I use a PC for, otherwise I do literally everything else in my life on my MacBook Pro or an iPad.

also, move things around to different USB ports. The one you’re on might be borked. It happens.

Last edited:
I’d look at W10 as the culprit. Lately it’s been 100% a complete shitshow with constant crackling in my USB headphones, randomly fucking up sound settings and otherwise causing absolute mayhem on my flight sim rig. I spent 45 minutes today troubleshooting microphone issues. Sims is the only thing I use a PC for, otherwise I do literally everything else in my life on my MacBook Pro or an iPad.

also, move things around to different USB ports. The one you’re on might be borked. It happens.

I've already troubleshooted Windows (just read carefully the first post), nothing more to do about it and personally I never had an audio issue caused by this OS (neither on my desktop or laptop). It would be swell If I had an OSX computer but I don't own any anymore.

Same thing goes with the USB ports, just read the first post.

I've already troubleshooted Windows (just read carefully the first post), nothing more to do about it and personally I never had an audio issue caused by this OS (neither on my desktop or laptop). It would be swell If I had an OSX computer but I don't own any anymore.

Same thing goes with the USB ports, just read the first post.
I did read your first post. Just because you checked something and that didn’t solve anything doesn’t meant it isn’t the problem. The issues I’ve described I’ve troubleshot every weekend fir the last month or so. I don’t believe your Axe is the issue all of a sudden. My money is on the crappiest portion of your entire setup - Windows 10.

Another possibility in Windows is that the OS decided to revert to default a setting you might have changed in the past. Check your power management and see if the setting the puts USB ports and stuff to sleep when it thinks they’re not in use.

Just a heads up.

Just got my Axe back a few minutes ago, it was sent to the great G66 guys and gals after a few days of troubleshooting and reporting back via email.

Well, It was a hardware issue after all, the guys/gals replaced the USB chip and the USB port and Bob's your uncle (yes, recording and playback through the Axe was the first thing I teseted)!!!

A big THANK YOU to the Fractal Audio and G66 people not only for their majestic products but also for the second to none aftersales support (which again, doesn't surprise me a bit since I am with you guys since 2009)!

Back
Top Bottom