[fixed] No sound from Axe-FX Input 1

Piing

Axe-Master
My Axe-FX III Input 1 has stopped working. There is an abrupt noise when I insert and remove the plug, and the Input-1 LEDs spike for an instant, but no sound. Neither from the front or the rear input.

All other inputs are working.

I have provisionally connected the guitar to Input 4 and I have to insert a new Input block to audition the presets.

Any suggestion?

Ooops...

The Headphones Output is neither working.

And there is also an abrupt noise (with a spike on Input-1 LEDs) when I insert and remove the Hedphones plug

Another update: There is a loud noise if I knock the right side of the front panel. That's why there is a loud pop when I insert or remove the guitar jack or headphone jack.

Maybe something loosen inside? That would be strange, because I never move the Axe-FX from the desk.

Surprise! I've opened the lid and found that the ribbon cable was loose
Axe-FX III Input_Headphone board.jpg

Now Input 1 is working. But this is only a partial relief, because the headphone output is not working.

There is a hiss at the right channel, and a loud pop (my ears are almost bleeding) when removing the plug

Could the headphone output have been damaged because of the loose connection?

Last edited:
I've managed to repair the input/headphones board! :)

I did order a new board but it will take a while because FAS does not ship outside of the US & Canada, so I had to find a friend in the USA to resend it to me.

In the meantime I decided to buy the Analog Devices ADA4075-2 dual op-amp IC that is powering the headphones. I have replaced it, and it is back to life!

The loose connection of the ribbon cable may have damaged it.

I have paid only $2 for the ADA4075-2

replacement.jpg

I shouldn't have ordered the new board. I have paid $55.21, delivered to the US, plus the extra that I will have to pay to resend it from the US to Thailand 😢

Last edited:
Well done!
As I read through your posts I thought...maybe that ribbon cable has come out of the daughter board...then scrolled dow ...aha!.... then maybe that small ic is damaged...scroll down...aha! Glad you got it sorted - and now you have a spare input board. ;-)
Thanks
Pauly

I've managed to repair the input/headphones board! :)

I did order a new board but it will take a while because FAS does not ship outside of the US & Canada, so I had to find a friend in the USA to resend it to me.

In the meantime I decided to buy the Analog Devices ADA4075-2 dual op-amp IC that is powering the headphones. I have replaced it, and it is back to life!

The loose connection of the ribbon cable may have damaged it.

I have paid only $2 for the ADA4075-2

View attachment 73008

I shouldn't have ordered the new board. I have paid $55.21, delivered to the US, plus the extra that I will have to pay to resend it from the US to Thailand 😢

I've never done a component swap on a surface mounted board but it looks nearly impossible unless you have the right tools (heat gun, desoldering ribbon, flux paste, microscope...) as well as some steady hands. Well done!

I've never done a component swap on a surface mounted board but it looks nearly impossible unless you have the right tools (heat gun, desoldering ribbon, flux paste, microscope...) as well as some steady hands. Well done!
Actually those SOIC-8s are easier than thru-hole. You just put a blob of solder on each side and the part comes right off. No wrestling with pins stuck in holes.

Now TSSOPs and finer pitch are another story. I used to be able to replace those big TSSOPs and TQFPs but my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Yes, that was easy. I de-soldered it as you say: putting a blob of solder on each side and pushing it away.

Soldering was another story. First I created a mess with the soldering iron, because the lead spread through several legs. So I borrowed a heat gun to remove it, and soldered it back using the heat gun. Now it is working 🙂 🙂

I am surprised that the IC survied such a high temperature. I was not hoping that it wold work, but I took the risk without fear because I have already ordered the new board.

My eyes are also getting old. I could not get proper focus with the magnifying glass, so I put the mobile phone over it with a magnifying glass App 🧐
set.JPG

The pic you see there is the initial mess, with the lead spreading across the legs. The second job with the air gun was neat.

Last edited:
I have received the new board from FAS. If anyone outside the US/Canada needs one, I can ship it from Bangkok

Back
Top Bottom