[Fixed in 8.00b!] Weird Tone Match change from 7.0 -> 7.01-02b

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
I use the TM block on a few patches, one for a Limelight tone which has sounded pretty good, that is until 7.01.

Prior to 7.01 I have been able to use it without smoothing. On 7.01 the volume goes way up (~10 dB) compared to previous FWs and the tone is now honky / out-of-phase, at least at 0% smoothing. Turning smoothing from 0 %to 0.1% percent decreases the volume. Only until about 30-50% smoothing does the TM sound usable.

Attached is a recording and preset. First a riff on 7.0, then on 7.01 with identical settings, no change to mode or any other parameters in TM block. In the third section I play an open E and turn the smoothing from 0 to 10% and back down again. I level matched the first two riffs but the 7.01 one is much louder out of the box.

Attachments

• 7.01 Tone Match Issue.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Can you share the preset? There were no changes to the TM block.

Preset now in OP.

Note that switching from LIVE to OFF-LINE mode changes the curve displayed on the right and the volume goes way up [edit: evidently correct behavior from post below!]

Last edited:
Fixed for next release.

THANKS!

BTW, it sounds REALLY good. So good in fact that I had to play over the backing track for a bit.

You and me both!

Actually my original preset (which I simplified to post here) might sound a bit better as it mixes two different tone matches: that TM+CAB mixed/panned with an IR player from a TM w/o a cab. Also I think the Tube Comp gives it some special sauce without being overly compressed.

Last edited:
Shoot, looks like there is still an issue on 7.02 - or at least a big change from 7.00 (with 0% smoothing). Changing to 0.1% smoothing radically changes the volume and tone but it still sounds boxy/phasey compared to 7.00.

Another recording: 7.00 then 7.01 then 7.02.

Last edited:
You can hear the acoustics of the strings. Kinda like a DI. Was the computer mic selected instead of the axe?

Good ear... I might have accidentally :confused:. Just rerecorded the 7.02 part via USB and changed soundcloud link in post above.

It's working fine here. Sounds like you are getting phasing due to your audio interface.

Please post your DI wav file so I can use it as a re-amp track in my DAW with your preset.

Edit: Just played it through my guitar. Sounds perfect.

Edit 2: Scene 1 sounds like your 7.0 demo. Scene 2 sounds like the ones with a blanket thrown over. PS - I'm not searching for the "why". I noted that in scene 1 you have a compressor mid-chain, and in scene 2, that one is bypassed, and the one closer to the end of the chain is on. But there may be several other channels changing in the scenes. That is up to you to research. Scene 1 is awesome though.

Edit 3: I kindly ask you to verify and report back.

Last edited:
Dang, went back to 7.00 and it sounds great but reloading 7.02b still has the problem. It isn't my DAW (Audacity) as it has that loud boxy sound through my monitors, and I don't touch anything else.

I exported an IR from the TM in both 7.00 and 7.02b. The 7.00 IR sounds good in both FWs, while the 7.02b IR has the same loud, hollow, boxy tone as the TM block in 7.02. A key difference seems to be the Smoothing control. In 7.00 smoothing is very subtle and smooth in changing the tone. In 7.02b, going from 0% to 0.1% makes a big tonal change and volume drop and it starts to sound more "normal" around 50%.

Attached is a new version of the preset + two IRs:
  • Scene 1 has the TM block which on my unit changes sound between 7.00 and 7.02
  • Scene 2 has an IR created from the TM in 7.00 - it sounds good in both FWs
  • Scene 3 has an IR created from the Tm in 7.02b - it sounds loud, hollow, boxy (almost like in an ambient room)
Recorded a riff again in 7.00 and 7.02b. [I don't know how to record DI + processed tone with Audacity]. The next two sections are turning smoothing from 0% -> 0.1% -> 0% in 7.00 and 7.02b respectively.

Attachments

• 7.02 Tone Match Issue w IRs.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
  • U1.0006_TM 7.00 Limelight wCab 730.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 14
  • U1.0005_TM 7.02 Limelight wCab 730.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 10
If anyone has the same issue (per post above) and/or is willing to help debug this using the preset I posted I'd appreciate it!

For me:
  • On 7.00, Scenes 1 & 2 sound similar and good, while Scene 3 sounds bad (loud, phasey).
  • On 7.02b, Scenes 1 & 3 sound similar and bad (loud, phasey), while Scene 2 sounds good.

I tried it out, and my biggest issue was the exported TM's are very quiet. Once I got the level up high enough they sounded very similar. Not exactly same, but close enough.

Back
Top Bottom