[FIxed] "Ghost" reverb/delay tail going from bypassed to active block (in 17 but not 16)

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
This is a follow on to the post Help with Scene Glitching Noise.

In 17.00 when switching from a scene with a bypassed Reverb channel (bypass mode THRU) to a scene with an active reverb channel results in a tail coming from what was played in the first scene. I confirmed that this doesn't happen in FW 16.05 unless bypass mode is set to MUTE OUT or MUTE FX OUT.

I think this is different from the Bypass/mute/unmute Issue which Cliff addressed in 17 but this new issue may have been introduced in the fix to it.

Attached is a preset. Play something in scene 1 and stop then quickly switch to scene 2 and there is a tail w/o playing. This doesn't happen in 16.05. I haven't tried it in 17.01 beta yet... if someone it willing, please post result here.

EDIT: Confirmed this is also happening with the delay block.

Attachments

• III-16.05 Rev Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yeah the wet input is still active when the bypass mode is set to THRU, so the delay lines are still filling when bypassed. The block guide doesn't specify one way or the other for the THRU mode, but does for the MUTE OUT and MUTE FX OUT modes.

The delay block does the same thing when set to THRU bypass mode, so I would assume this is the expected behavior.

If you use the MUTE IN or MUTE FX IN modes, it does not continue to fill the delay lines when bypassed and your tails continue to ring out once bypassed.

This is on the 17.01 Beta 4 for me (MK1).

@mr_fender Thank for checking 17.01 beta.

It's not how it used to work (in THRU mode) as confirmed in 16.05 (I could try 15 as well), so it might be a purposeful change in function or an accidental one.

I prefer the pre-17 behavior as switching from a scene/channel with reverb off to one with it on, to my mind, shouldn't have a ghost tail (unless explicitly set to do so, e.g. MUTE FX OUT).

Last edited:
Also happening with the delay block. So it might be happening independent of block type.

I’d be surprised if this is the intended behavior for thru. If you want to hear the tail, you’d use mute fx out. At best, this is mostly, but not entirely redundant with that. IMHO the model should be: unbypassing thru should act the same as editing the preset to replace a shunt with a block.

Back
Top Bottom