FIXED! FC FW 1.09 Major lag in calibration response on AF3 - controller taper affected?

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
I am having a huge time issue with lag on the Expression pedal calibrations hooked up to the FC12.

I have 2 Yamaha FC7 pedals plugged into the FC12. The FC controller/remote page, each is set for pedal 1 and pedal 2 as continuous controllers.

When calibrating each pedal, both behave this way, there is a 1-1.5 second delay until I see any movement in the AF3 window during the calibration of the pedal movement. The calibration does not taper along with the pedal movement. It is like an all or nothing each way in the calibration.

I have the FC pedal 1 controlling the output volume for output1 and output 2 in the midi remote/other page and it works. the throw is so long on the pedal that the volume does not have an even taper. The 65% between the heel and forward(toe) position is where the majority of the volume tapers.

Is that because of the calibration or is this possibly another issue? Is this not a good pedal? It is built like a tank and has good reviews.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

that delay in the video is VERY significant to me. What is the resolution?

I swapped my EV-2 out for an EV-1 yesterday and re-calibrated and had the same issues. Things appear to be working so not sure if it's an issue where the graphic is not responding in a timely manner or what. I was going to make a video of the same thing also but didn't get around to it yet. Maybe post this in the FC Forum and see if it gets any traction.

wanted to see if this was an AXE issue or not first since the axe is behaving unexpectedly. Posted my video in your post for reference. Looks like this is still an outstanding issue. I have an additional concern where the throw of the pedal is really only using 65% of the toe-heel action. I was hoping for more linear behavior.

Weird - I've got 4 Mission pedals and had no issues calibrating them... Although it's been a few months.

I owned an FC7 long ago and IIRC it was wired differently than other controllers. It doesn’t use a TRS plug, does it?

Your Yamaha FC7 keyboard controller pedal comes wired differently than a regular midi controller pedal that the FXIII wants to see - specifically the voltage reference is connected to tip instead of the ring. (See http://www.making-sound.co.uk/projects/expression-pedal-meter.html) You can get your FC7 pedal to work with the FXIII but you will have to open it up and reroute the wires to the poteniometer. I have done this for two FC7s many years ago- it is a big hassle to take them apart - no, let me correct myself - the taking apart is easy, it is the "getting back together" correctly that is the problem. There are a lot of little parts that have to come back together and if you dont carefully keep track of how they come apart you might have trouble getting it back together. Alternatively, I think you could avoid taking the FC7 apart like I did by simply cutting off the stereo jack and rerouting the wiring with a new jack where you route the three wires to the appropriate connections on the new jack. Normally, expression pedals are supposed have a current limiting 1K resistor connected to the wiper (See: https://www.strymon.net/strymon-tech-corner-1-anatomy-of-an-expression-pedal/) It has been about 20 years since I took my FC7s apart, but I dont remember that they had the 1K resistors - that said, I dont think you really need them.

One more note: I tried to find the resistance of the pot in your FC7 and it appears to be 50K. (I would check the resistance for you on my FC7s but we just moved and I dont know what box they are in!) The pot that Fractal uses in their pedals is a 100K. It seems like a big difference but I think the FXIII can tolerate a wide range of pot values, so you should be fine using the 50K. THat said, it might be good to test the resistance before you get into it to make sure it is not 10K which is probably too low for the FXIII. If the resistance is too low, you can replace the pot in the FC7.

Last edited:
One of the issues is remedied - the linear action of the pedal is full range effect. I reversed the leads and the pedal now works as expected.

The lag in the AXE calibration still remains, but is more responsive and doesn't totally jump around as it did before. Still a 2 second lag between movement and screen draw.

I'm sure the screen drawing is all low-priority on the unit. It might improve if you are on an empty preset. What really matters is how it responds while performing.

Back
Top Bottom