[fixed] Crackles with 1.15 Beta Firmware

atquinn

Power User
Ever since loading the 1.15 Beta firmware, I'm getting crackles on one of my presets. It seems to be CPU related, but the preset is only about 80%. In the recording below, I'm on scene one and you can hear the crackles (first 3 strums). Then I delete the Wah, Phaser and Drive blocks (which brings the CPU down to about 74%) and then the crackling is gone.

This is the only preset of mine this happens to, but then, it's also the preset that uses the most CPU. Hopefully this can be fixed in the production version of the firmware?

Austin

Attachments

• Clean H.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
On a related matter, I upgraded to 1.15 last night. I then got into a preset I was messing with and it was crackling... I thought 'uh-oh' - Turns out, the desk input was clipping - Whoops! Wasn't the Axe FX at all!
Silly Pauly

After some investigation I discovered it's not the CPU usage causing the crackling, it's the Looper block. It's related to CPU usage but it's not because the audio thread is starved, it's something to do with the Looper block in particular. If you remove the Looper block the noise will go away. I still have to figure out exactly what is causing it but my gut tells me it's something in the state machine. Makes sense too because a lot changed in the Looper.

BTW, that patch sounds awesome. I've added it to my personal presets.

FYI, I had the crackles yesterday and the looper block was not in the preset. All I did was select several different presets. It persisted through a few and then just went away. Pretty sure it wasn't any of the ancillary equipment/cables. Sounded awesome as usual after that. Running 1.15 beta. Never experienced this before. I do not typically have the looper in the presets I am using.

Hmmmm ..... Ive got the crackles too in 1.15 Beta :( .... checked all my levels / desk / leads etc ....

The presets are from the Austin Buddy 1000 pack .... they all *had* the looper in them but its the first thing I deleted and the crackle is still there ??

Any thoughts re: trouble shooting ?

Ben

Ever since loading the 1.15 Beta firmware, I'm getting crackles on one of my presets. It seems to be CPU related, but the preset is only about 80%. In the recording below, I'm on scene one and you can hear the crackles (first 3 strums). Then I delete the Wah, Phaser and Drive blocks (which brings the CPU down to about 74%) and then the crackling is gone.

This is the only preset of mine this happens to, but then, it's also the preset that uses the most CPU. Hopefully this can be fixed in the production version of the firmware?

Austin

Im using your preset and i dont have the crackles and i love your preset... im at 76,5 % in scene 3 the others around the 80%

Im using your preset and i dont have the crackles and i love your preset... im at 76,5 % in scene 3 the others around the 80%

It's interesting, sometimes it's non-stop crackles, sometimes not. I haven't figured out a pattern yet, but I'm sure the FFF (fine folks at Fractal) will figure something out. Glad you're enjoying the preset!

Austin

* SOLVED *

For some un-be-known reason to me, the SPDIF on my RME UCX has re-set to 44.1k ..... as soon as I re-set it to 48k ..... all crackling gone.

HTH others.
Ben

Reactions: Rex
* SOLVED *

For some un-be-known reason to me, the SPDIF on my RME UCX has re-set to 44.1k ..... as soon as I re-set it to 48k ..... all crackling gone.

HTH others.
Ben
It's nice when the solution turns out to be easy. Have fun with the rest of your day! :)

FWIW I can confirm the looper causes it.
Nice clean sound!

Thanks
Pauly

It's interesting, sometimes it's non-stop crackles, sometimes not. I haven't figured out a pattern yet, but I'm sure the FFF (fine folks at Fractal) will figure something out. Glad you're enjoying the preset!

Austin

I found the bug.
Any chance on getting a firmware with that bug fixed before next week's Friday?

I've a gig then which was supposed to be the very first with my III, but I need the looper.
Maybe I can do without v. 1.15's additions and revert to 1.14 for the gig.

Back
Top Bottom